Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Nature's Weirdest Events

Has anybody watched this? I've just finished watching Episode 1 and it is absolutely awesome.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Re: Nature's Weirdest Events

I don't know it - might not be something we get across the pond. What's it about?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 10:41 PM

No lass, you won't get it over there, unfortunately. It's what it says on the packet, weird events.

Exploding toads, cars and trees being covered in webs made by moths, a total freeze-over of cars, trees and waves which happened overnight somewhere. There's a part about locusts and plagues of mice. Then another where a huge dust storm the size of Spain moved 1500 miles to Sydney where everything (including the sky) was red for hours. Really weird stuff.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 10:50 PM

I saw it Mollie - fascinating - I watch most of the natural history stuff. The tongue eating parasite was grusome but incredible don't you think that something can evolve to take advantage and live like that?
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 10:50 PM

We watched it last night. Brilliant programme. Some really weird stuff as well. I think Part one was on last night & part two tonight at 8.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

04-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
We watched it last night. Brilliant programme. Some really weird stuff as well. I think Part one was on last night & part two tonight at 8.
Thanks for that Lynne. I wasn't sure when it was on as I watched it on BBC iPlayer.

What really upset me was the whale stranding. Such beautiful graceful creatures swimming to their own deaths. I know I'm soft, but that did make me cry.

Yes, that 14-legged creature found in fish mouths was gruesome, but what about the giant one? Eeeeek! Imagine meeting that on a dark night up an alley!

I think all nature is wonderful, most especially how they evolve in order to survive. I once read something about destroying Ruddy Ducks in my area because they weren't indigenous and I blew my stack. So what? What if they are mating with other ducks to produce a new species, in order that its own may continue. I hate mankind meddling with things that have nowt to do with us.

Really weird stuff though. Can't wait to watch the next one now.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 01:39 AM

Wait... what? Exploding toads????
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

05-01-2012, 01:42 AM

Ah - just found this link by googling.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16290795

Weird indeed!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

05-01-2012, 01:45 AM

Yes, exploding toads. It was found that a particular type of blackbird in Germany that needed certain nutrition found different ways of getting food.

They started to drop nuts from high up onto roads so that cars would run over them, and break the shells. Then - and this is very clever - because that was dangerous, they started to drop them on zebra crossings so when traffic halted for pedestrians they'd go and pick at the inside of the nuts.

Further on, they required other nutriition and, as most folk know, the skin of a toad is toxic so they learned how to locate one of the toad's vital organs (the liver), bury through and withdraw the thereby causing the toad to become frantic. When a toad is afraid, it puffs itself up but, being unable to exhale, they just kept blowing up to a point where they exploded. Shame for the toads, but clever of the crows.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

05-01-2012, 01:49 AM

Well if that series gets released on DVDs I'll certainly look for it. Might be a bit squeamish at some of the content though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top