Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
LovelyMeerkat
Lancashire
LovelyMeerkat is female  LovelyMeerkat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Re: Your favourite towns/cities?

Waikiki in Hawaii
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Prague is another beautiful city with a lot of history to it too.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Portsmouth!!! Oh dear, I lived near there for 30 odd years. I don't like the city itself, but it does have a lot of very interesting history.

I'll choose two quite different places in Germany ... Hamburg (I lived there for a time and visit it most years) and Saarburg - near Trier which is a favourite holiday destination in our motorhome.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Portsmouth!!! Oh dear, I lived near there for 30 odd years. I don't like the city itself, but it does have a lot of very interesting history.

I'll choose two quite different places in Germany ... Hamburg (I lived there for a time and visit it most years) and Saarburg - near Trier which is a favourite holiday destination in our motorhome.
George matey, Aaahhhhhh Trier - birthplace of Grandaddy Karl (Marx).
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 08:35 AM

As somewhere to visit or spend a vacation for me it's Goslar am Harz. A wonderful old city with a great shopping centre and as a city big enough ….. whilst not being too big. Close to so much that is worth visiting and with a tremendous history. Anyone going there shouldn't miss THE clock!

Otherwise Köln is special for me.

In part because of family connections, another wonderful city though it suffered greatly as a result of the disgraceful deliberate bombing of civilians by the British.

The infamous thousand bomber raid on Köln had no military or strategic justification, it was for no other reason than attack civilians in an act of war crime and outright terrorism.

In spite of what was done the city has been rebuilt including the Kölner Dom despite being all but destroyed in the terrorist attack on the city centre.

Köln is a great place to use as a hub in order to visit smaller towns and various attractions nearby, one of which is Bensberg that has what I consider to be the finest purveyor of cream cakes bar non, the “Schloß Bakerei” (Château Bakehouse) in the main street.

Heart attacks on a plate!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

04-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Otherwise Köln is special for me.

In part because of family connections, another wonderful city though it suffered greatly as a result of the disgraceful deliberate bombing of civilians by the British.

The infamous thousand bomber raid on Köln had no military or strategic justification, it was for no other reason than attack civilians in an act of war crime and outright terrorism.

You have a bloody nerve and a very short memory Dieter.

What of the Luftwafe's attack on 'innocent civilians in Guernica??? - what of Innocent civilians in Warsaw??? and hundreds of other cities across Europe - Hmmmm????

Then of course there was London. What of the innocent civilians in London during September 1940 - January 1941???
Hitler and his cronies thought he could walk all over Europe and the Third Reich would last a thousand years. In fact it lasted less than five years. The Nazis were very good at giving out mass death and destruction, but when the boot is on the other foot, can't take it and cry 'UNFAIR'!!!

Hitler regarded the Slavs as 'Untermench', until he got his arse severely kicked at Stalingrad and again at Kursk when the Red Army pushed his arrogant Aryan soldiers all the way back to the Gates of Berlin.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 11:13 AM

I have enjoyed visiting many cities around the world but my favourite is Singapore. I have been there a few times and I just love it. Strangely enough I am also very fond of Mombasa which I suspect only goes to show I am crazy, but I suppose knowing my way around and being used to coping with things there helps.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Las Vegas, Nevada for the incredible atmosphere on the strip, the nightlife and the wonderful desert heat.
Los Angeles. California for the climate, awesome shopping and excellent freeway system.
Guadalajara, Mexico because I have some very close friends there and the people are so hospitable. Also watching Club Deportivo at Estadio Chivas is an experience everyone should have at least once in their lives, especially "El Super Clasico" against Club America from Mexico City.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Nobody asked but my least favourite city in the world is Guangjhou, China. What an absolute dump!
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
Nobody asked but my least favourite city in the world is Guangjhou, China. What an absolute dump!
Been there a couple of times. Grand International Hotel's pretty good though.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top