Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:23 PM

How long does it take you?

I was thinking tonight - How long do you think it takes to really get to know someone?
Is it possible to know everything about another person?
Does love at first sight exist?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:36 PM

Re: How long does it take you?

I'm usually a very shy person (although I can effectively "act" the extrovert when I need to) and it usually takes me a long time before I know someone well enough to trust them completely. Having said that, the first time I met my wife was at as public meeting. She was at the front on the panel, and I was at the back of the room observing. Our eyes met and I was totally and completely lost. It sounds trite and uber-romantic, but from that first moment we both knew that we would be together for the rest of our lives. The first time we spoke we knew absolutely nothing about each other apart from the fact that we were in love and the process of getting to know each other was a wonderful voyage of discovery. I should add that I was a world-weary, cynical 44 year old when we met, not a love-struck inexperienced teenager. 22 years ago, I would have doubted that "love at first sight" existed. I still think it is extremely rare, but it does exist.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:38 PM

Aahhh, that's lovely MickB. I'm really glad for you, you old softie.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 06:40 AM

You have that 'moment' when you meet someone special as with Hubs, knew within minutes .... turned out to be a correct feeling within me
As for everyone else, I have changed in that respect I now know, you must take your time - friendships dont come easy ......true ones that is ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 06:42 AM

That's two distinct questions unrelated I think. Yes love at first or in our case second sight is possible, our second date my husband proposed and we were married 6 weeks later. Can we ever know someone 100% I am not sure, as we have been married since 1984 and my husband still surprises me sometimes.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 07:01 AM

I think some folks seek to know everything about another being, whilst keeping a bit of themselves private, a sort of protection mechanism, if an individual has a private bit themselves, they should not expect to know everything about another person, just accept at face value.
P.S, I really should not be commenting cos I'm the archetypal "Billy no Mates".
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 07:19 AM

Of course you can't ever know everything about a person. We all keep things back, we all have secrets of some sort and parts of our past we don't wish to share, or perhaps aspects of our personality we're less than proud of.

I don't believe in love at first sight either - how can we possibly love someone until we get to know them properly? Too many people marry on the strength of sex appeal and haven't a clue what their partner's really like, their ethics, humour, spending habits, weaknesses, temper etc.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 07:37 AM

I don't believe that you can know everything about another person.. I've known Dianne for 44 years (married 40 years next week), and I still get the odd surprize.

I also don't believe in true Love at first sight, but I do believe that you can spot the 'potential for love', at first sight.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 09:07 AM

I don't think it was sex appeal at first sight with us, I just saw an incredible pair of the kindest eyes I have ever seen, a man who couldn't hurt me if he tried. My man has aspergers he sees things in black and white and can't tell a lie, so to know a woman he needed to marry her and he wanted to know me. I was accepting of his problems and I think he found that quite amazing. But sex appeal ? not really. Obviously that came with time and knowing each other but it wasn't upper in either of our minds at first.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I was thinking tonight - How long do you think it takes to really get to know someone?
Is it possible to know everything about another person?
Does love at first sight exist?
I believe that you can see someone and suddenly click, it happened for us.
I saw my wife who would have been classed as just the opposite I would have gone for but there was something about her that attracted me, it was a beautiful head of auburn hair, and a glint in her eye.
It was something we can't explain, Dilly saw me and dumped her boyfriend and we just got it on.
Fifty seven years later we are still together, and have been married fifty four, we have never had a row as such, but of course argued when we thought we were right as we all do,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top