Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Re: How long does it take you?

Like others have said, I don't believe you can fall in love with someone at first sight - you can feel a kind of love but not that deep in love feeling that can only come when you know you've found your soulmate.

No, I don't believe it is possible to know everything about other people - again, it's already been said, we all have skeletons in our closets. I think it takes a long time for people's barriers to come down and trust others enough to let them in bit by bit. Those of us who trusted too easily have probably become a nightmare to get past those barriers!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm inclined to think the initial attraction to the opposite sex is usually being drawn to a physical attribute first. I don't see how you can 'love' someone you know absolutely nothing about.
But the original question didn't mean just our partners, I wondered how long it takes to become firm friends with other people too?
I have had a very dear friend for over 40 years but recently I have noticed a change in her way of thinking that upsets me a little, attitudes I don't feel are right, and I find it very sad, because I want our friendship to be as easy as its always been.
On the other hand, I met a lady only about 18 months ago, through quite unusual circumstances and we became friends almost immediately and get on tremendously well.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 11:30 AM

I'm a terrible judge of character, so now I take ages to decide whether I like someone. They have to prove worthy!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 11:46 AM

I'm sure love at first sight exists but it never happened to me. In my humble opinion it takes a very long time to really get to know someone you would want to spend your entire life with, even then you'll never know their inner thoughts. I have plenty of friends as such but only one or two would I trust completely. Familiarising with someone is not the same thing, take a new person coming to work with you, after a week or so you will feel relaxed with that person because you'll know that bit more about them but only what they want you to know, everyone has something they don't want to tell no matter how trivial or serious, we are all very unique and complex creatures after all.
For example, the wife and me are 48 years married but she doesn't know I like to wear a frilly garter when she's out, don't tell her.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
For example, the wife and me are 48 years married but she doesn't know I like to wear a frilly garter when she's out, don't tell her.

Hate to disappoint you Jem, but she's known for a long time.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hate to disappoint you Jem, but she's known for a long time.
Fab !!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 12:44 PM

I like - the potential to love is there - someone said that ......
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 11:10 AM

I don't believe in love at first sight either - how can we possibly love someone until we get to know them properly?
I also don't believe in true Love at first sight, but I do believe that you can spot the 'potential for love', at first sight.
Like others have said, I don't believe you can fall in love with someone at first sight - you can feel a kind of love but not that deep in love feeling that can only come when you know you've found your soulmate.
I'm inclined to think the initial attraction to the opposite sex is usually being drawn to a physical attribute first. I don't see how you can 'love' someone you know absolutely nothing about.
This was absolutely my opinion as well - right up to the moment our eyes met 22 years ago. It wasn't about sex, it wasn't about physical attraction, it was about an immediate and incredibly strong connection that we both felt instantly (and which hasn't diminished at all in the ensuing years).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
This was absolutely my opinion as well - right up to the moment our eyes met 22 years ago. It wasn't about sex, it wasn't about physical attraction, it was about an immediate and incredibly strong connection that we both felt instantly (and which hasn't diminished at all in the ensuing years).

Ahh, then you're a lucky man MickB. Well done you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top