Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

The Perception of Childhood

High school proms are a multi-million dollar industry in the US but in recent years the trend has reached the UK, and increasingly younger pre-school audiences. Gavin Ramjaun investigates this growing trend.

At the school both of my granddaughters went to, they also had a Prom Night and both thoroughly enjoyed dressing up (even my eldest granddaughter who is an out and out tomboy) for the night - but they were both 1617 years old.

Now it seems that it's becoming a trend even for pre-schoolers when they start nursery or infant school.

I'm personally not comfortable with very young girls being dressed in high heels and makeup and then paraded in front of the judges (but then, I don't like beauty competitions at all). Is it really necessary? What was wrong with the end of school disco!

Are we encouraging little girls to grow up too soon and, thereby, becoming overly conscious about the way they look?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/kids-...112644787.html

Video clip so I can't shortcut it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Re: The Perception of Childhood

That makes me feel uneasy, I don't like young children being sexualised too young and that is what it looks like there.

My niece's school didn't have a prom but my nephews did, both of them enjoyed it but they were 16 at the time. I wouldn't have liked to see it done earlier than that looking at what their dates were wearing
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:28 AM

It is good, especially if you are in the Stretched Limo business.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is good, especially if you are in the Stretched Limo business.
Hmm, I would be highly suspcious of personal promotion then
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Just another endorsement of stupidity .....
Parents these days need classes on common sense and how to use it !
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 11:11 AM

I read yesterday that Obama wants children to begin sex education while in kindergarten ..I don't know how I feel about the idea .... I think kids should be just kids as long as they can ...I remember being told to never talk to strangers if I was alone and not to get in a car etc ..but there again I don't believe I was ever anywhere alone while at pre-school.. I 'll see if I can find a link .... and if this post is in the wrong place I'm sure some kind soul will move it...

ETA ‘Sex Ed for Kindergartners “Right Thing to Do,”
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

05-09-2013, 11:40 AM

If Obama is a Muslim?? then sex education would be normal for a 3 year old woulden't it?
Am I being facetious? No,not really.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 11:56 AM

I can't see a problem with sex education at that age as long as it age appropriate material they are taught. Obviously children have questions at all sorts of ages and we have to answer them, and I would rather someone who knows what to say do that than them have the sort of education I had which left me vulnerable to abuse at a very early age because I didn't understand what was happening.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 12:55 PM

You can be 'too young' Julie - 7 years should be the earliest .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-09-2013, 01:08 PM

But it depends what they are teaching them surely ? At 3 we started teaching our little ones not to allow anyone to touch them and that some places on their bodies were private things like that, I am guessing it won't go further than that really. No one would teach the mechanics etc until much later.

But before they get to school they need to know a few things.

Oh and by 7 I had already been living with my grand parents for safety as it was when I got to 5 years old I realised what was being done to me wasn't normal and what uncle must do to make you a good girl. If I had know at 3 I would have been much safer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top