Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Re: The Perception of Childhood

Thats fine Audrey - you disagree gal - wont change my perspective on it ....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Absolutely not. My son, without my knowledge, was taught sex education in primary school (he would have been about 7 at the time). When I picked him up from school, he didn't want me to kiss him. Wouldn't hold my hand crossing the road. When we got home and I offered to make him a sandwich, he refused and neither did he want a drink. He was also looking at me very oddly. I asked his sister did she know if anything was wrong - she said she didn't but would speak to him (he shied away when I went near him).

My daughter (who was about 12) did speak to him and he told her about the class at school and what he'd been told and shown. He then said he couldn't believe that 'mom had done anything like that and I'm not eating anything she touches and I'm not ever kissing her ever again either - it's all disgusting'.

I flew into that school the next day and left them with no mistaking how I felt about them conducting that class without consulting parents first - I could have predicted my son's reaction (my daugher would have been fine about it all), his mental maturity just wasn't up to handling the information he'd been given and putting it into an adult context.
I think it's important that the parents look at the curriculum being planned for each grade level, and have the chance to discuss it with the teachers and the school administration. Here the parents are given an opt out choice.. I don't understand that, but some parents do not want their kids to be told anything.. I think these are the kids that will get bad info from friends and the internet and do some experimenting on their own.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I completely disagree... A 3 year old is NOT too young to be told that genital touching by anyone is NOT normal or appropriate and that the child should report it immediately to an adult.. Kids that age are capable of sexual pleasure... and are too young to understand the mind games a manipulative molester can play. I think this is what is meant about age appropriate.. NO ONE is saying that they should be given a crash course in sex.
I wonder if we renamed it and took the word sex out of the title of people would see it differently as it seems just saying sex makes some people think it has to be graphic and teaching about sexual practices. When that is far from what we are actually talking about.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:30 PM

I think it's important that the parents look at the curriculum being planned for each grade level, and have the chance to discuss it with the teachers and the school administration. Here the parents are given an opt out choice.. I don't understand that, but some parents do not want their kids to be told anything.. I think these are the kids that will get bad info from friends and the internet and do some experimenting on their own.
Very true we should all get involved with children educations, I am at present taking my great niece to and fro school, the teacher seems happy to chat about what is happening in the classroom with anyone who hangs around and asks questions, sadly it's me and two others everyone else is off as quick as they can. I relay information to my niece and ask any questions she wants answered the next day. We are I hope going to be able to help little Grace by being involved as much as we can.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I wonder if we renamed it and took the word sex out of the title of people would see it differently as it seems just saying sex makes some people think it has to be graphic and teaching about sexual practices. When that is far from what we are actually talking about.

Isn't that the truth.. I don't know about the UK but people here are down right puritanical about sex when it comes to their kids.. We have a whole group of folks that believe high school kids should be taught "abstinence only" sex education... that they should be given ZERO information about birth control.. or about STDs or anything. Now.. it's been a really long long time since I was a teenager... but I'm pretty sure that's still not going to work.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:02 PM

I would have had no problem at all with that. Teachers used to (don't know if they still do) have an approach of 'they know best' and when it comes to their subject, they will, in all probability, know better than I but when it comes to my child, I definitely have the better insight. As I've said, my daughter would have taken it in her stride but my son was much more sensitive as a young child and should have been handled much more carefully.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top