Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Want A Job? Let's See You Dance

Alan Bacon, 21, was shocked to be asked to show his moves to a tune by French duo Daft Punk during the interview process for a job with Currys at a store in Cardiff.

Mr Bacon, a self-confessed "massive nerd", said he would have been in his element working at the shop advising customers on the latest gadgets and had spent a week preparing for the interview.

Mr Bacon, who studied documentary film and television at university in Newport, said he had applied for 300 jobs but was attracted to the sales assistant post with Currys because of his interest in gadgets and electronics.

But when he got to the interview earlier this week, along with nine other applicants "we were taken to a back room and after some short introductions we were asked to dance".

Mr Bacon said: "My heart immediately sank because I knew that all the effort I had put in to trying to learn the brand, what kind of gadgets they were selling ... no, the first thing they asked us to do was to split up into two groups and awkwardly dance with each other for them."

A few hours after the interview he received a phone call where Currys "let me know that I wouldn't fit in with the team".

The firm has launched an investigation and has invited all the candidates back for another interview where they will have a "proper opportunity to demonstrate how they can contribute to our business"

There's a very unpleasant feel to what happened to these applicants and it doesn't reflect well on the management team at that store.

If you attended for interview and was asked to dance for them, would you have agreed?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/man-humilia...2.html#6B0OASk
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Re: Want A Job? Let's See You Dance

No I wouldn't and the person who thought that up shouldn't be in a position of power like that IMO
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 11:00 AM

It's a strange one isn't it. I get the feeling that there's a bit of a sadistic streak in that team and they had a good laugh at how desperate people can be to gain employment; I hope anyone involved in that gets sacked - dreadful way to treat people.

I am surprised that the applicants went along with it - but, I suppose if you're desperate enough ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 11:27 AM

That just shows how arrogant they can afford to be now that jobs are as scarce as hens teeth, reminds me of the old western films when the bully in the saloon takes out his six shooter and makes the town drunk dance for a shot of whiskey.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

06-09-2013, 11:33 AM

I know what i would of said! but not here on this forum,not allowed to swear and cuss,hope they sack the idiot in charge,wankers!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by billsteamshovel ->
I know what i would of said! but not here on this forum,not allowed to swear and cuss,hope they sack the idiot in charge,wankers!
Well said Billy, it's crazy, but no worse than some of the team building stunts we had to endure.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
That just shows how arrogant they can afford to be now that jobs are as scarce as hens teeth, reminds me of the old western films when the bully in the saloon takes out his six shooter and makes the town drunk dance for a shot of whiskey.
Very good analogy Jem - wish I'd thought of that (given my penchant for spaghetti westerns )
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by billsteamshovel ->
That was my first reaction - after calming down, I think I'd rather pull them up out of their chairs and insist they joined us

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top