Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Re: Over 65's opinions

Originally Posted by Markey ->
My thoughts are that what ever their age, the sort of person who says they take pleasure in 'saying what they think' and don't care about the consequences, is usually someone who has no manners, probably didn't know how to behave when young and has not improved with age.

It's interesting that they are often the sort of people who take huge offence when treated by others in the way they advocate.
.... laughable nonsense .....
If 'no one' spoke out in this world we would never have seen any improvements to it !
Holding yer tongue is 'not' always a good thing - sheepish, if you ask me ... Whistle blowers are amongst those I admire and anyone else who stands up for their beliefs as a lot of greats have !
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
.... laughable nonsense .....
If 'no one' spoke out in this world we would never have seen any improvements to it !
Holding yer tongue is 'not' always a good thing - sheepish, if you ask me ... Whistle blowers are amongst those I admire and anyone else who stands up for their beliefs as a lot of greats have !
I'm not talking about someone who stands up for their beliefs (while allowing others to stand up for beliefs that may differ)

Nor am I talking about 'holding your tongue' when the truth would be better served.

I'm talking about the type of person who says they take PLEASURE in 'saying what they think' and don't care about the consequences, Generally that type of person is thoughtlessly ill mannered and as I posted earlier, are the first take offence if treated in the way they treat others.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Ah - didn't see that on here ......
EDIT - Surveys are nonsense too - they never ask me !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Being a "youngster" I must admit I do get surprised at older people saying what they think, sometimes racist or homophobic comments which make me cringe! I hope I don't get like that! There's a difference between putting your views across and blurting out offensive comments just because people don't like to correct older people. It's just ignorance and lack of consideration, in my opinion.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Me Too Pats darlin' but since I now only have a couple of months to go before I really qualify am looking forward to 'letting rip'.
Blimey <worried face>
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Being a "youngster" I must admit I do get surprised at older people saying what they think, sometimes racist or homophobic comments which make me cringe! I hope I don't get like that! There's a difference between putting your views across and blurting out offensive comments just because people don't like to correct older people. It's just ignorance and lack of consideration, in my opinion.
Thats true - cringe is the word ... they know not what they say - they just speak nonsense, hoping to impress ? Who knows ......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:57 PM

I don't know about older people (I'm not 65 for a few years yet but I'll poke my nose in on this anyway) but youngsters seem to feel very proud of saying this.

As Bowie has already said - everyone can say what they think but how you say it is another matter altogether. If someone doesn't care about the consequences, they may find it will come back and bite them if they say it to the wrong person!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Saying what you think... and standing up for yourself is not the same thing as being deliberately hurtful to someone under guise of "honesty". There is nothing I hate worse than someone who enjoys "telling it like it is" in order to hurt someones feelings. Then they turn around and say "You know me... I brutally honest" I call BS.. they are not doing it to help someone.. they are doing it because they LIKE it. Then to make matters worse.. after they do their dirty work.. blame their victim for being offended.. Makes me see absolutely Red.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:05 PM

I used to be timid and say nothing, now I'm more likely to speak out, but not if it is going to hurt someone, and try to be nice about it.
Exception being cold callers on the phone, probably been a good training ground for being outspoken lol
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just read that "according to a survey" , 1 in 6 people over 65 say they take pleasure in 'saying what they think' and don't care about the consequences.
Do you think that is true?
I've been like that all my life, it's no good beating about the bush.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top