Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Re: Over 65's opinions

Well I'm 67 and I mostly always say what I think, but first I quickly scan through my mind to see will it unduly offend anyone as it's not in my nature to offend people, but of course this doesn't always work, there is always someone who nit picks every single word.
However if someone deliberately offends or harms me I leave out the mind scan and go for the jugular, and to hell with the consequences, however I never take pleasure in it, wouldn't that make me kind of sadistic?, heaven forbid.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I've been like that all my life, it's no good beating about the bush.
I think that beating around the bush has it's place. Sometimes things are just not important enough to hurt someome.. or make someone feel bad over. I'm in favor of the "little white lie" when something is just not that important.. Deliberately going out of ones way to insult someone under the cloak of "just being honest" is cruel IMO.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:13 PM

There is one perk I DO enjoy about being older. I can flirt blatantly with the cute young docs... and no one takes me seriously... lol!! If they only knew.. hahahahah
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I think that beating around the bush has it's place. Sometimes things are just not important enough to hurt someome.. or make someone feel bad over. I'm in favor of the "little white lie" when something is just not that important.. Deliberately going out of ones way to insult someone under the cloak of "just being honest" is cruel IMO.
They are the ones I dislike and tend to steer clear of.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:19 PM

There is one perk I DO enjoy about being older. I can flirt blatantly with the cute young docs... and no one takes me seriously... lol!! If they only knew.. hahahahah
Is that one of those evil chuckles

What's disconcerting is when they flirt back or get a twinkle and you think 'hang on - I'm the old person and I'm allowed to do this, pack it in'
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:21 PM

I may say what I think with close friends and they with me, isn't that what good friends are for? The ones I am very very careful with are my daughters in law. My mother in law didn't bite her tongue before expressing an opinion without any sugar coating and all 6 of us daughter-in-laws hated her!
AudreyII
USA

06-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Is that one of those evil chuckles

What's disconcerting is when they flirt back or get a twinkle and you think 'hang on - I'm the old person and I'm allowed to do this, pack it in'
Well... I tell them I'm just like an old dog chasing a car... wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught it. Of course that's not true.... but I'm too tired to...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well I'm 67 and I mostly always say what I think, but first I quickly scan through my mind to see will it unduly offend anyone as it's not in my nature to offend people, but of course this doesn't always work, there is always someone who nit picks every single word.
However if someone deliberately offends or harms me I leave out the mind scan and go for the jugular, and to hell with the consequences, however I never take pleasure in it, wouldn't that make me kind of sadistic?, heaven forbid.
Thats my feeling - in a nutshell !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by vivity ->
I may say what I think with close friends and they with me, isn't that what good friends are for? The ones I am very very careful with are my daughters in law. My mother in law didn't bite her tongue before expressing an opinion without any sugar coating and all 6 of us daughter-in-laws hated her!
My mother is like that - one the most caustic people I've ever known; and she can't fathom why people don't bother much with her! She joins clubs which, and this is absolutely truthful, disband not long after she's joined due to way too much ill-feeling and she has the nerve to say 'I wish I knew why that club ended, mind you there was a lot of arguing but I'm glad I stayed out of it so no blame can be attached to me'! Unbelievable.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Well... I tell them I'm just like an old dog chasing a car... wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught it. Of course that's not true.... but I'm too tired to...
Kind of takes the wind out of your sails - almost like the silly youngsters don't know how to play the game - grrrrr. If I'm brutally honest, I'd rather read my book

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top