Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Re: The dreaded word - Christmas!

Usually Christmas eve sees frantic finishing off of projects here. Knitting and sewing things together. One year I mistimed so badly I had two single bed patch work quilts to put together LOL now that was a rush and would have been less stressful to go round the shops I think
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Christmas is always going to be hard for me now. Last year's was the first without Mum and I won't know from one year to the next what I'll be doing.

Up til the age of 59 I spent every single one with both parents, then with mum. Now suddenly I am at a loss. My younger sister invited me to her daughter's but they can't have me every year! My two other siblings made it quite clear they go out on Christmas Day to someone else.

Going away for the holiday is just too expensive.

For the last few years I only bought presents for Mum then we agreed not to bother. If I wasn't working it made things easier by not needing to buy anything.

Last year I half heartedly sent some Christmas cards but didn't bother with my neighbours. Might make a bit more effort this year. Last year I was too busy dealing with my grief, and seeing to Mum's estate (just dealing with companies really, nothing major but it was oh so time consuming.)

I dunno. Don't want to put a dampener on things, but it's times like this I wish I were married, and had my own family to turn to.

If and when I move out of this flat and go into a sheltered housing one, which is my aim, my family would probably breathe a huge sigh of relief and think 'oh that's her sorted!' These places have communal halls and lots of activities and parties, so I wouldn't feel lonely. Here, in this block of flats, it's unbelievably lonely. I can go days without bumping into anyone.

Not feeling sorry for myself, just stating stark facts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 09:05 PM

I know what you mean about flats, here we are lucky because we work and go out with the dogs we see quite a few people, but the lady down stairs who is in her late 70s we make sure we pop in once a week just to check she is OK, couple of others here do the same and her family come and see her a few times a year. But that's it if we didn't all make an effort she wouldn't see anyone very often at all.

I always imagined it would be more communal but if you can't get out it must be very lonely.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top