Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Frozen Chicken pieces

If you look on the bags of frozen, ready cooked chicken pieces in Iceland, Tesco and the like, why is it all from China? What's wrong with selling English chicken pieces?
I buy a bag for my very elderley dog each week, and sometimes it also comes in handy to drop in a curry or casserole for quickness, but it puts me off when its all from China. Why do we have to import things that we have here already?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 12:31 AM

Re: Frozen Chicken pieces

Don't you watch Rip Off Food on TV?

You obviously buy it, so is there a complaint? I most definitely wouldn't buy it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 04:42 AM

What's wrong with chicken from China? The reason is obvious

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 06:30 AM

I suppose there must be a market for it or it would not be here.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What's wrong with chicken from China? The reason is obvious

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 08:30 AM

Although I do do shopping from a major supoermarket, I also buy a lot of my meat from my local butcher (including chicken pieces), lamb's liver, streaky bacon, Ox heart, diced pork, pork slices, steak & kidney and all my 'safari' meats.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 09:24 AM

I suppose a lot of us just don't read the label.
Had some chicken thighs out defrosting for lunch, so went to look at the packet. Mine are from Asda and it says British chicken
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 09:29 AM

I always check where stuff is from and, if possible, I stick to British products - I don't see why I should support other economies when our own needs propping up (so I tend to buy Manx first, English second, British third).

I wouldn't buy Chinese poultry either - I've seen, on documentaries, how they keep their birds and that isn't nice but it's thought to be fine over there.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 09:30 AM

It comes down to price. Look at just about anything you buy and you will see that it comes from / is manufactured in the far East. That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with it.

You can buy British food/goods if you like, but you may have to pay a little more.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 09:38 AM

We've seen those docus too, we only buy British chicken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top