Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Re: Frozen Chicken pieces

I would love to say we only buy British but price drives me to whatever is cheapest. I know animals are treated better here too but when faced with can I afford chicken for my meat eater or not I am afraid I come down on his side rather than the animals. Not proud of it but needs must I believe.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by valice ->
I suppose a lot of us just don't read the label.
Had some chicken thighs out defrosting for lunch, so went to look at the packet. Mine are from Asda and it says British chicken
That's more reassuring Valice, I will have a look in our local Asda from now on then. You perhaps stand a bit more chance of it being hygenically reared.
I think some people never read labels as you say, but also sometimes labels are cleverley worded too. It will say things like - "packed in UK for ............ (whatever company), but that doesn't mean the meat was reared and slaughtered in the UK as well. It could be imported in bulk, then just re-packed in the UK into small bags.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Don't you watch Rip Off Food on TV?

No, don't think I've seen that Mollie. Is a daytime prog?

You obviously buy it, so is there a complaint? I most definitely wouldn't buy it.
In the beginning when I needed some, I tried Iceland, and wasn't happy, so looked in Tesco, but there's was exactly the same. I needed some for my poorly dog so bought it, I get her a bag every week. It looks fine, and I hasten to add, it is for humans (not dog food!), so as I said, I have used it occasionally for myself as well. However, I shall have a look round Asda or Sainsburys next and see what they've got.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Cheapest is morrisons no idea where it's from though but at £3.50 a kilo it's quite good value, dogs love it and meat eater doesn't complain.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
We've seen those docus too, we only buy British chicken.
I NEVER buy British chicken but it doesn't come from China either. Both are too risky.

5.2 Chicken meat and trade - Imports

Chicken meat cannot be freely imported into Australia due to strict quarantine requirements in place to protect both local commercial poultry and native birds from disease and consumers from certain food safety hazards.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top