Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 01:20 PM

Victorian Favourite (Sugar Beet)

i was reading about the Victorians and their food likes and was surprised that one of their favourite veg was the humble sugar beet they use to have it roasted, grilled, steamed, boiled. So out on my doggie walk today i saw a pile of Sugar Beet and decided to try myself, so took one home washed it peeled it and cut into cubes and will roast it tomorrow to go with my Sunday dinner. I will let you know how it goes.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Re: Victorian Favourite (Sugar Beet)

I have it every morning sprinkled on my breakfast cereal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 02:14 PM

Enjoy it Doc not for me i'm afraid too sweet but I would eat the leaves chopped and blanched and tossed in butter and black pepper.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Enjoy it Doc not for me i'm afraid too sweet but I would eat the leaves chopped and blanched and tossed in butter and black pepper.
I will try that Meg sounds tasty.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 02:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbT3Kx4Qx8

It was once a major crop in these parts.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 07:27 PM

We have a field full of it here Doc. First time and it has shot up from nowhere, plus the existing crop of barley did not need ploughing in once cut
Remember it was grown to help in the war years and after , when town parks were ploughed up for the war effort. Normally spuds one year then sugarbeet.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

22-10-2016, 09:11 PM

Give it a try duke roast in oven till brown and crisp.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Give it a try duke roast in oven till brown and crisp.
Strange is it not Doc, the field is used free by a large land owning farmer. In over 20 years Sugar Beet has never been grown in that field, now I note all the local fields are Sugar Beet. May be a EU ruling, in farming what you can and cannot grow is insane.
Anyway they have only been in a few weeks yet tops are huge. Not got a clue when one is ready for picking?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

25-10-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Strange is it not Doc, the field is used free by a large land owning farmer. In over 20 years Sugar Beet has never been grown in that field, now I note all the local fields are Sugar Beet. May be a EU ruling, in farming what you can and cannot grow is insane.
Anyway they have only been in a few weeks yet tops are huge. Not got a clue when one is ready for picking?
Duke wait until they are harvested then go scavenging haha!!! for any that fell of the harvester.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

25-10-2016, 01:15 PM

Just to let you know folks i had the sugar beet well half roasted on Sunday with the other veg and it was bloody lovely i left it in the oven until it was brown and crispy. So now will be stocking up on sugar beet i'm sure they will keep ok in the shed in a box hopefully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top