Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Re: The Me Too Movement and Me...and Possibly You

(Is) The future of #MeToo: 'bigger than Asia Argento'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-rose-mcgowan

Italian actress Asia Argento and US singer and actress Rose McGowan, both accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault.

Almost a year after the Weinstein scandal first broke, a critical eye is being trained on Asia Argento and Rose McGowan.

“The consciences are waking,” Asia Argento told the Guardian last November, six weeks after she publicly accused Harvey Weinstein of rape. “Every time one of these pigs fall, it’s a badge of honour. What I see is that this is like an avalanche.”

Argento’s visions were accurate; it has been almost a year since the Italian actor and director spoke out about Weinstein and her accusations against one of the most powerful men in entertainment have been instrumental in setting in motion an avalanche of accusations of sexual impropriety.

But now, this avalanche has enveloped Argento herself. On 19 August the New York Times reported that Argento had paid $380,000 to settle a complaint filed against her by Jimmy Bennett, a musician and actor, who said she sexually assaulted him when he was 17 and she was 37. The age of consent in California, where the assault allegedly took place, is 18. Argento had known Bennett since he was 7, when she’d played his mother in the movie The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things.
Hoist by her own petard .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:19 PM

All genuine sexual assaults and rapes should be reported and dealt with accordingly but I don't like the sound of a 'movement', particularly when it is started by an activist.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
All genuine sexual assaults and rapes should be reported and dealt with accordingly but I don't like the sound of a 'movement', particularly when it is started by an activist.
The word "should"should be removed from our vocabulary. It says that someone has to do something. No one has to do anything. Sometimes activists give others the courage they need. Some times the victims become those activists.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:35 PM

Forceful men are prominent in period dramas, it must be difficult for these characters to know, just where the line is drawn, and, just who was responsible for the initial transaction.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

The law has to protect both man & woman to avoid somebody being punished for something they didn't do.

These days girls drink too much & sleep with a man, but claim rape a few days/weeks later. If I had a son I would want him to get written permission before he had sex with a woman.... if we are expecting the law to always favour what the woman says, when she hasn't reported it immediately.
The law doesn't protect men and women equally.

As for you next statement it is a generalization that is unjustified and judgemental. A rape is traumatic. When it happens, a person wants to hide in a hovel at times, especially when they face judgmentalism like this. No wonder they don't report it anymore than then do when they still can't depend on people to believe them. They just get labeled. Please learn compassion.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
The law doesn't protect men and women equally.

As for you next statement it is a generalization that is unjustified and judgemental. A rape is traumatic. When it happens, a person wants to hide in a hovel at times, especially when they face judgmentalism like this. No wonder they don't report it anymore than then do when they still can't depend on people to believe them. They just get labeled. Please learn compassion.
I don't think anyone is questioning whether a rape is traumatic or not, of course it is and I can't begin to imagine how terrible it was for you personally.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:47 PM

I think Twink was trying to point out that the law is there to protect the innocent.
. And convict the guilty
It's not about "sides"
Or pre-conceptions...
Just evidence
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:54 PM

What about blokes, who have been bad mouthed by a Lady, when they have been addressed with the ultimate respect??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-09-2018, 10:59 PM

There are many termagants out there, who do much, on their own terms.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Me too is just a passing fad. It won't change human behaviour or the cultures that have led women to be in such situations. At the end of the day women have very little protection from assault in our societies. The movement seems to celebrate the victim mentality rather than proposing a solution.

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top