Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Re: Router.

I'm with Virgin Media. Download speed is 221 Mbps. Upload around 12Mbps. Ping time: 13ms (figures according to speedtest.net).
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm with Virgin Media. Download speed is 221 Mbps. Upload around 12Mbps. Ping time: 13ms (figures according to speedtest.net).
Yes, I just had a conversation with Virgin about my broadband.

Told them that 200 is more than I'll ever need.

Got 10% off to go down to 100.

Also a bit more for dropping the monthly payments for international phone calls!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Also a bit more for dropping the monthly payments for international phone calls!
I keep saying I'll do the same. I'll get around to it one of these days.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 12:46 PM

If VM keep putting up their prices as they continue to do with no good reason, I'm seriously thinking of getting a 4G MiFi router with a 40Gb SIM card (£20pm) instead. It's pretty fast enough for my needs, I've used my phone as a Hotspot and connected my tablet to it to stream Amazon Prime Video with no problems. A WiFi dongle is also available that allows you to connect Ethernet devices (such as my PC and `smart` TV) to the MiFi router.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If VM keep putting up their prices as they continue to do with no good reason, I'm seriously thinking of getting a 4G MiFi router with a 40Gb SIM card (£20pm) instead. It's pretty fast enough for my needs, I've used my phone as a Hotspot and connected my tablet to it to stream Amazon Prime Video with no problems. A WiFi dongle is also available that allows you to connect Ethernet devices (such as my PC and `smart` TV) to the MiFi router.
MiFi is something I know very little about .....

AFAIK, a Mifi router is a battery-powered router with Wifi which, from what you say, connects to the internet via a mobile phone - are downloads not constrained by the data allowance provided by the SIM card on the mobile phone .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
MiFi is something I know very little about .....

AFAIK, a Mifi router is a battery-powered router with Wifi which, from what you say, connects to the internet via a mobile phone - are downloads not constrained by the data allowance provided by the SIM card on the mobile phone .....
A MiFi router is self contained and you can fit a 4G SIM into it so can be used in a similar way to a phone's hotspot. It can be powered via a USB lead connected to a computer or dedicated power source.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E557...gateway&sr=8-5
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 02:20 PM

A MiFi router is self contained and you can fit a 4G SIM into it so can be used in a similar way to a phone's hotspot. It can be powered via a USB lead connected to a computer or dedicated power source.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E557...gateway&sr=8-5
So, if it's like a phone's hotspot, then, I guess, mobile data constraints/charges will apply, so either the amount of data could be limited, e.g. 10GB pm or expensive, e.g. £50 pm .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 02:43 PM

I had a similar conversation with BT. My broadband package was their top one at the time, unusually it was called Fibre 2 or Broadband 2, cannot recall the exact name but the ‘2’ led me to believe it was not their top speed package. (It wasn’t full fibre either, just fibre to the green box, then copper.) On retiring I no longer needed the ‘top’ speed for my graphic design business, so telephoned to downgrade it. The answer, “you are on the top speed package (didn’t know that) you cannot downgrade, only upgrade, for which there is an additional charge. However, that will put you on full fibre broadband, at an additional charge”! They have it all covered, thieving rogues that they are!

They had already given me a deal due to problems with overhead cables. Twice in a year it had been taken down by storms and falling tree branches. That meant no broadband or landline for almost a couple of weeks in all. No mobile either, that uses the wifi as there’s no 4g signal in this village.

My speeds today are: Download 44.7Mbps, Upload 5.4Mbps, Latency 11.7ms. All in all not too bad so I decided to remain on that package as the deal at £18 a month made it a reasonable buy.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

05-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
So, if it's like a phone's hotspot, then, I guess, mobile data constraints/charges will apply, so either the amount of data could be limited, e.g. 10GB pm or expensive, e.g. £50 pm .....
You can get a 40gb SIM for £20 pm from Giffgaff or always on for 25 quid. Quelle bargain.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-08-2019, 06:57 PM

You can get a 40gb SIM for £20 pm from Giffgaff or always on for 25 quid. Quelle bargain.
Indeed, that sounds quite reasonable .....

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top