Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:10 PM

How Useful Are Walking Sticks For Those With Balance Problems?

Gives a bit of security I suppose. Over the years, the people I see using them often look like they don't need them. Perhaps claiming benefits and wanting to look deserving.

Anyway there is a simple question there.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Re: How Useful Are Walking Sticks For Those With Balance Problems?

Very useful . I couldn’t take a step without mine . I have one by my bed in fact for when I need to get up in the night .
I have several conditions that affect my balance .
Strange or maybe not that you suspect som look like they don’t need them . There are such things as hidden conditions and lots of people now are having joint replacements so walking outdoors using an aid is necessary .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:31 PM

When I left hospital after being very ill and with a broken ankle after a fall, I bought a walking stick after my large boot and crutches were removed. I only used it for a week or so just to help when I got off the sofa and ensure I was steady enough on my feet.

Now, I find it brilliant to find and swipe the boys several tennis balls from under the sofas, coffee table, bathroom cupboard and the bedroom cupboards. I know when there is a ball under these places because all I see are two little backsides in the air as they scrabble to get them out with their paws. One swipe with that walking stick though and they are scurrying after the ball. It's a godsend because I could get down to retrieve these tennis balls, but would probably still be there a week later!!

Would be lost without it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:36 PM

When Artangel cut her knee and needed 14 stitches, she struggled to walk because she was told not to bend her knee.
She used an old walking stick, that had belonged to a relative, and told me that it made her feel safer when trying to walk .....falling again could have created further damage to her knee.

As we get older, many people find that a walking stick helps them feel more independent & less afraid of falling.
Some older gentlemen look very dignified walking with their stick, but I am certain that none of them use it, that don't need to.

Do you have no compassion for people who are suffering Gravitas?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Very helpful. My parents are 85 & 89 and they always use their canes. They have a variety of them.

It helps keep their sense of balance. With all the senses not as acute as they used to be the cane helps them know exactly where the crowd is.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:37 PM

I use a walking stick though I don,t 'look' as though I need one. Without a stick I tend to wander all over the place. Then again I am almost 92 and it helps me to walk in a straight line and gives me something to lean on when I find myself getting out of puff.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I use a walking stick though I don,t 'look' as though I need one. Without a stick I tend to wander all over the place. Then again I am almost 92 and it helps me to walk in a straight line and gives me something to lean on when I find myself getting out of puff.
Wow 92 and you’re still walking around. Good for you.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:41 PM

My brother and his wife walk arm in arm, walking stick in the other, because he reckons this way they are holding each other up!

I bought a fold up stick some years ago, plus another one that has the bend in it, and when I was knocked over by the dogs not long ago, struggled to walk the dog, so found I needed the stick for a day.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Gives a bit of security I suppose. Over the years, the people I see using them often look like they don't need them. Perhaps claiming benefits and wanting to look deserving.

Anyway there is a simple question there.
Have you considered a hobby ?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Never make assumptions, genuinely do not understand what Gravitas means by 'looking like they don't need them'.

It might only be temporary, and completely erroneous to suggest they are on benefits.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top