Join for free
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 02:44 PM

Re: Vote Today

The ERG have turned down recommending accepting the new details, that will go for the DUP too so Mays deal is now lost.

Just listening to Charles Walker the chairman of the procedure committee and he is suggesting there could be an election called by the end of the week for this failed parliament.

To all intents and purposes our leaving the EU in any meaningful way is lost and rather than a referendum I would prefer to see an election .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We can vote for a no deal all we like but it won't change anything. The only way to avoid the no-deal is for the EU to agree all our concessions which they simply will not do.

I think the Malthouse Compromise is the only "deal" that would get through but first we need to reject the no-deal amendment and the extension of A50 (which is unlikely anyway because nobody would be able to agree the timescale).

fingers crossed ... its going to be a tough week ha ha
Bread , the new wording allowing for 'alternative arrangments ' for the NI border is a nod to the Malthouse Compromise. There will be no more than that as I said earlier the EU have no reason to give way on anything now our main threat of leaving with no deal is lost.

The only other option that might get a majority is the Labour and remainer 'soft brexit ' of a customs union and single market so more or less staying in the EU .
Most leave MPs will not accept that and as all is lost in many ways the best we can hope for is an extention to article 50 and an election where scores will be settled by leave voters who are a majority away from the cities.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 03:22 PM

I don’t remember leave the eu with a deal being an option on the ballot box , as I understood it .... NO DEAL WAS THE ONLY OPTION AND WE VOTED FOR THAT
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bread , the new wording allowing for 'alternative arrangments ' for the NI border is a nod to the Malthouse Compromise. There will be no more than that as I said earlier the EU have no reason to give way on anything now our main threat of leaving with no deal is lost.

The only other option that might get a majority is the Labour and remainer 'soft brexit ' of a customs union and single market so more or less staying in the EU .
Most leave MPs will not accept that and as all is lost in many ways the best we can hope for is an extention to article 50 and an election where scores will be settled by leave voters who are a majority away from the cities.
I don't think that no-deal is a lost cause at all

Firstly, it is written into UK law that we will leave the EU on the 29th March. The only way we could leave *with* a deal is if the WA is voted through today (unlikely) or another deal is voted through where the EU agree to our concessions.

If we extend A50 this would still not guarantee leaving with a deal, it simply extends the period between now and the end date. To do that we would need to change the March 29th act of parliament, get approval from the lords and royal ascent. Furthermore the extension period would have to be agreed by the UK and the EU and the reason given as to why we need the extension. That reason can only be that the Tories have completely failed to deliver on their manifesto commitments and failed to negotiate anything that is a good deal for the UK with the EU.

It just kicks the can down the road, no deal cannot be unilaterally taken off the table by the UK
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I don't think that no-deal is a lost cause at all

Firstly, it is written into UK law that we will leave the EU on the 29th March. The only way we could leave *with* a deal is if the WA is voted through today (unlikely) or another deal is voted through where the EU agree to our concessions.

If we extend A50 this would still not guarantee leaving with a deal, it simply extends the period between now and the end date. To do that we would need to change the March 29th act of parliament, get approval from the lords and royal ascent. Furthermore the extension period would have to be agreed by the UK and the EU and the reason given as to why we need the extension. That reason can only be that the Tories have completely failed to deliver on their manifesto commitments and failed to negotiate anything that is a good deal for the UK with the EU.

It just kicks the can down the road, no deal cannot be unilaterally taken off the table by the UK
Bread while I agree with much of what you say, even though 'no deal ' is the default position it will be allowed to get through in a parliament where the majority of MPs voted remain.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
I don’t remember leave the eu with a deal being an option on the ballot box , as I understood it .... NO DEAL WAS THE ONLY OPTION AND WE VOTED FOR THAT
Perfect example of what was wrong with the referendum. The exit negotiations, and agreement are in article 50. Apperently none of the leavers took the trouble of looking it up. Just voted based on what others told you. That's called ?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bread while I agree with much of what you say, even though 'no deal ' is the default position it will be allowed to get through in a parliament where the majority of MPs voted remain.
Yes that's true but if it did, it would not really mean anything as the no-deal cannot be done unilaterally.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

12-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Perfect example of what was wrong with the referendum. The exit negotiations, and agreement are in article 50. Apperently none of the leavers took the trouble of looking it up. Just voted based on what others told you. That's called ?
Wrong assumption on your behalf ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 04:02 PM

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just heard on BBC News that the DUP have rejected this withdrawal agreement. The ERG said that they would vote for or against, dependant on how the DUP react. Says it all.
Good for them.

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top