Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Re: Medication for arthritis.

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
I buy MSM for both me and the dogs from either Holland and Barrett or Chemists Direct and have never had any problem about them being confused with a drug. In fact I've just placed an order with Chemist Direct for all kinds of things like Oral B toothpaste which we can't get in Hungary, moisture cream, paracetamol, ibuprofen, voltarol all of which are expensive over here and they should be delivered sometime next week.
That is interesting ZsaZsa, I shall try and buy direct from Holland and Barrett, I tried buying various brands on Amazon but each time I got the same message, "cannot deliver to this address". Our local farmacia has ordered some for me and a friend will also bring me some over in March. I also noticed that you can buy the veterinary MSN, it seems very popular for use with horses. Thank you for the above information. Could I ask if you find the MSM beneficial?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 03:32 PM

I have arthritis that started in my neck as a classic "neckache" but it's now affecting my hands, my left hip and could be what's causing the pain in my right knee too but as yet I've only ever taken ordinary Ibruprofen because I just don't like taking medications much at all.

I won't touch Paracetamol unless I have absolutely no choice purely for personal reasons I won't go into here.

When I was in my 20s I first got Rheumatism from working in water-logged fields on pipelines or I was out in all weathers getting soaked so I was fully expecting to get arthritis later on and I was first diagnosed in my early fifties.

I've tried Voltarol and found it useless, just like other deep heat treatments these days but I did try a heat pack once and it did work for me.

I tend to work through any pain I get as it takes a lot to really put me on my back.

If it gets too much I will have to face up to seeing a doctor about medication but I'm coping for now.

By the way, see here: -

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...lfonylmethane/

for natural sources of MSM. stevmk2
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 05:01 PM

The trouble with the natural sources Steve is that virtually everything is treated or processed which destroys the MSM.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
The trouble with the natural sources Steve is that virtually everything is treated or processed which destroys the MSM.
OK. Sorry. Just trying to be helpful because I don't like taking medications mysefl clumsy.

Surely fresh vegetables are OK though? stevmk2
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

07-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
OK. Sorry. Just trying to be helpful because I don't like taking medications mysefl clumsy.

Surely fresh vegetables are OK though? stevmk2
I would think every little helps and thanks for the link Steve.
bichonlover
west wales
bichonlover is male  bichonlover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 06:56 PM

HI Carol, Like Aquablue , I have used Volterol, found it helpfull on my knees
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Someone suggested Movelat relief gel,so I bought some last week,and it didn't help any on My knees or lower back,but it certainly works on My shoulders,elbows,and wrists,fab'....I also tried WD40 and it too works wonders...On My squeaky doors heh heh
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Different people have different forms of arthritis so different remedies will work. It does take time to work out the solution so a whole lot of patience is required.

I found that eating tomato was the worst culprit, even a spot of puree will have me swelling up - then there is red wine - no other answer than trial and error - good luck
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

22-02-2015, 04:49 PM

Apart from my deafness I also suffer from a number of ailments with rheumatoid arthritis being one of them; who the Hell I annoyed in a past life I do not know but I'm paying for it now!

Anyway, the past month I've had problems with my right knee again, which has been doubly annoying as I've got Plantar fasciitis in my right foot that refuses to respond to the exercises and the shoe inserts I bought @ £22+ in Superdrug!!

I cannot kneel on this knee at times so I try to avoid it but it's difficult when you are employed as a handyman / maintenance "operative" / gardener - particularly gardener as most of the time I'm on my knees out there!

The only medication I will take is Ibruprofen and then only when I really, REALLY need to if it's very painful.

Amongst the other "exquisite inconveniences" (as Frank Zappa said!) that I have is a Hiatus problem, Muscle Spasms and Familial hypercholesterolaemia and I take Statins for that.

I also chose to take Co-Enzyme Q10 occasionally as Statins inhibit the production of Q10 in the body BUT I've been forgetting it for months so, for the past 7 days I've taken 30mgs per day every evening, without fail.

Now the odd part: -

After 8 full days of taking Co-enzyme Q10 every day my knee, my arms, my left leg and my neck feel much better, my Muscle Spasms have stopped completely and even my gum disease problem's gone away - no blood when I brush my teeth!

About two weeks ago my wife saw an old friend of mine in the Gym where she goes 3 / 4 times a week now.

Randy was like me - he got into weight training but at a very young age and when he tried to give it up he was crippled by Muscle Spasms - so much so that the only relief he got was to go back to it plus take a supplement he was given 35 years ago when he was going in for competitions.

That supplement had lots of things commonly used by Body Builders - legal substances, plus Co-enzyme Q10 in 30mg doses.

I'm not saying it's the answer to rheumatoid arthritis or anything else for that matter - but it works for me, it works for Randy and it works for a lot of people Randy and I know too, all of who are Weight Trainers and / or Body Builders.
Google it but ask you Doctor too - I did. stevmk2
Belle
Warrington
Belle is female 

22-02-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My husband Tony suffers badly with arthritis in his knee. He's taking 2 x 500 mgs of Paracetamol plus 1 x 15mg of codeine phosphate 4 time a day. They don't seem to be helping much - he still can't get to sleep for the pain.

I wondered if any of our forum members had arthritis and what medication do you take for it and does it help?
Yes, I have arthritis in my spine and most of my joints. after being tried on different drugs, including some which affect you immune system. Currently I am using tramadol for the worst days, and paracetamol for other days.

I do sympathise with your husband. I have had days where all you can do is take the strongest painkillers you dare and go to be with something light and wam,to cover you and try to find a way you can be most comfortable, sometimes it hurts so much that you wonder how your body can survive it. Sorry I know that is not much help

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top