Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Malta's famous Azure Arch has collapsed!

This was situated in Gozo, the island off Malta, and was much visited and photographed. I was able to visit there when in Malta just a couple of years ago, and glad I did.

It has suffered much erosion and has finally succumbed to the weather. Such a shame. Can you imagine if that was Durdle Door in Dorset??
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Re: Malta's famous Azure Arch has collapsed!

Awh what a shame. It's so sad that it wasn't thought necessary to try and preserve a piece of history earlier
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 09:53 AM

The problem is, how do you try and hold up a structure like that, that's in the sea? It was presumably erosion that caused the arch in the first place, so suppose it was inevitable that it would eventually all fall. It was such a tourist attraction.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Mother nature at work, its inevitable I'm afraid, , just because a natural structure has been there for thousands of years doesn't mean it will be there forever, its constantly eroding, and one day it will be gone completely, still very sad though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:57 AM

What a shame. It was so iconic.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Yes agree. I have never seen it so can understand.

I have read somewhere though that some conservationists are working out ways to preserve these structures of historical interest from the forces of nature but as per cannot find the article

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Hi

JBR will be pleased.

The EU is starting to collapse as he predicted.

Knockoutblow
Lancashire
Knockoutblow is male  Knockoutblow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Nature made it and nature took it away, I've been to Malta about 30 times and I never saw it
Not that bothered really, people in the Maltese press have been saying how heart breaking it is, obviously they've never lost a loved one.
Goldielocks
Spain

09-03-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

JBR will be pleased.

The EU is starting to collapse as he predicted.

Wash you mouth out with salt water. Not a Brexit thread

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top