Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 01:02 AM

Driving Round OZ

Joining the grey nomads...

In a short time I am off again this time not abroad but am travelling around Australia for a few months. Late last year I bought a small camper and did a test run for a couple of weeks to Victoria's Mallee country with a friend.

The Mallee Trip Photos <<Click

Last year at about the same time of year I drove up to Darwin via Queensland then back through the red centre those photos are here >>Click<<

I bought the camper as a result of the Darwin trip; I got fed up with deadlines at motels and roadhouses and at an average of $100 a night decided it was not worth it. However when I camped (I always carry a tent) I found I am getting too old to crawl in and out of a tent so this is like camping without the crawling. I didn't want a caravan because for the same cost I could stay at 4 star motels every night for the rest of my life and caravans really slow you down. My car doesn't even notice this thing.

I have never driven across the Nullabor Plain so I am looking forward to that experience and exploring the SW of WA, then I will make my way up the west coast of Australia via Broome and the Kimberley, across into the NT and Queensland before heading south. I anticipate I will cover about 11000kms by the time I get home again.

There should be a lot of interesting places to see on the way. Looking forward to it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	170215 003 Caravan Rest Area.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2796   Click image for larger version

Name:	170215 004 Junee Caravan Park.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2797  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 01:55 AM

Re: Driving Round OZ

What a great adventure Bruce will you sleep comfortably in that little trailer ?
Many years ago I traveled form Perth to Darwin along the west coast .
Since then I have returned to Australia many times its a beautiful country but as you say it's expensive to travel about.
Last time I was there went to Uluru and Darwin again and was amazed a how much it had developed .
Have a good trip
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 05:40 AM

It has a full size double bed, I am 6ft but can lie straight out if I want; I sleep like a log in it. The doors split so you can just have the security flywire door part shut while the glass is left open. The vent in the roof has an extraction fan. Even on the coldest night I usually leave the glass part open on at least one side.

I have a sheet and two doonas on the bed -from the bottom, winter wool doona topped with a Spring/Autumn doona and on top a sheet. Depending on the night time temperature I just sleep under more of less of them. In winter in the desert the day time temperature might be 28/30°C but at night it can get down to freezing or near freezing.

Most camper trailers have some set up required with this one you just stop and get in it, it is ready to go. As I say it is just like camping but in luxury.

I bought the shell but now it has TV, mains and battery power (not much only 60Ah) microwave, gas stove, Esky and the like. Personally I don't cook much I just go to the local club for a few beers and a meal but I can make a snack or tea and coffee with ease.

The last time I was in Perth was 1968 so I imagine it has changed too.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	170215 004 Junee Caravan Park-001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2799  
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 06:17 AM

What a cracking adventure Bruce, the very best of luck to you and make sure you keep a blog going whenever you find a town with wifi so that we can keep track of you.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Enjoy your trip Bruce, it sounds like great fun. Our athlete friends were in Perth for the athletics in October/November, they loved it, but said it was difficult to find somewhere for a coffee and a snack after 5 p.m. They said it was wonderful in the Perth hills and they certainly had some excellent photos.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Good luck Bruce and safe motoring with zero punctures. Piccies en route as well please.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 01:07 PM

That sounds exciting Bruce and your camper is ideal.

Have a safe journey and a great time .... hope you can keep in touch with us sometime
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 04:59 PM

Ohh you've got a pod ! We've looked at them many times and thought them a little too small for us, can never imagine the digs in it with us but they are great for those not taking kids and dogs with them

Hope you have a great time !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top