Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up.....

My family had no money to get me to college, so I learned early on whatever I wanted to do, it was up to me to do it.

Took Cosmetology, became owner and operator of a hair salon in my home, 18 years, so I was with my two kids during their school years. Then, choose a library career for ten years, loved working with the public, and at age 57, took many civil service tests, and waited for the job opening at our regional State Troopers office. I did ten years for law enforcement, and learned so much. As a teenager, I thought to become a lawyer, so at the end of my career, I did become involved with law.

I am very satisfied with my choices, and loved my jobs. I'm one of the lucky ones, but I worked hard to make it happen.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
My family had no money to get me to college, so I learned early on whatever I wanted to do, it was up to me to do it.

Took Cosmetology, became owner and operator of a hair salon in my home, 18 years, so I was with my two kids during their school years. Then, choose a library career for ten years, loved working with the public, and at age 57, took many civil service tests, and waited for the job opening at our regional State Troopers office. I did ten years for law enforcement, and learned so much. As a teenager, I thought to become a lawyer, so at the end of my career, I did become involved with law.

I am very satisfied with my choices, and loved my jobs. I'm one of the lucky ones, but I worked hard to make it happen.
As Sam Goldwyn remarked. "The harder I work the luckier I get" Looks like you followed his example.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I always wanted to be......

A lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!
The Larch!
The Pine!
The Giant Redwood tree!
The Sequoia!
The Little Whopping Rule Tree!
We'd sing! Sing! Sing!

In the end I settled for being a sparky - got a few electric shocks in my childhood which prompted me to find out more. Did (and still am in part) that job for 48 years.
When I read lumberjack my first thought was ---- the Monty Python song!

As for electric shocks, those along with ionising radiation, were my constant fear during my undergrad years.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
What did you want to be when you grew up.....

I just wanted to be a lot taller. It took a while, but I got there in the end.
Nowadays I seem to be shrinking in size again. From a maximum of 179cm down to 175cm.
That's still not too bad. Just think of the Pygmies, like the Wherethe****arewe tribe
They can't even see over the top of the long grass in their environment
//
Wherethe****arewe tribe

you have made me larf Mr Ploppy

I intend to use it......often
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:57 PM

I wanted to travel from when I was about 13 years old. I was desperate to work on a big cruise liner and even got as far as writing to the Cunard Shipping Line, just before I left school.. I was sent forms to fill in and return then I was asked to come for an interview, BUT that's as far as it got as my mother put a stop to it, the row that followed was …..well you can imagine. I never forgave her..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I wanted to travel from when I was about 13 years old. I was desperate to work on a big cruise liner and even got as far as writing to the Cunard Shipping Line, just before I left school.. I was sent forms to fill in and return then I was asked to come for an interview, BUT that's as far as it got as my mother put a stop to it, the row that followed was …..well you can imagine. I never forgave her..
What a shame.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
After my ice cream man period, I wanted to be George Harrison, then it was David Bailey, then I thought I'd best get a proper job.
I can see you in the stripey jacket d00d.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can see you in the stripey jacket d00d.
How many ice cream men have periods?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
How many ice cream men have periods?
He would only come round once a month.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
He would only come round once a month.

Careful with that raspberry sauce!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top