Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 02:46 PM

Re: Blue steak anyone?

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Once when we were on holiday, we went to a restaurant and I ordered a well done steak and Mr Mags ordered medium rare. My steak arrived and looked lovely until I cut into it ..... my plate was running in blood I almost heaved! Mr Mags complained to the waiter, he took it away and re-cooked it to perfection for me.
Poor you Mags, how many times has that happened to all of us. If I saw blood on my plate I think I too would heave. Why is it so difficult for chefs to just do a steak that has just turned from red meat to brown (not well done) where one's knife still slides through the meat like butter. Why has the choice MEDIUM been done away with ?? It always used to be Rare, Medium Rare, Medium or Well Done.
Not any more though.

It's the same when staying in Hotels. Why is it so difficult for kitchens to cook a decent fried egg? All I want is an egg where the white is set, the egg lovely and soft but not sunny side up. Do you think I can ever get one like that?!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Poor you Mags, how many times has that happened to all of us. If I saw blood on my plate I think I too would heave. Why is it so difficult for chefs to just do a steak that has just turned from red meat to brown (not well done) where one's knife still slides through the meat like butter. Why has the choice MEDIUM been done away with ?? It always used to be Rare, Medium Rare, Medium or Well Done.
Not any more though.

It's the same when staying in Hotels. Why is it so difficult for kitchens to cook a decent fried egg? All I want is an egg where the white is set, the egg lovely and soft but not sunny side up. Do you think I can ever get one like that?!
SG, sometimes I wonder if the chefs bother to read to orders properly and just try to get the food out as soon as they can
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes, I like it.

Don't try it with Supermarket Steak, it has to be dry aged for at least a month.

Flash fried there is no blood and the internal temperature is enough to kil any bacteria.

It is very tender.l
Yes, I do believe this is what's meant by a "blue steak".
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 03:57 PM

I once had blue steak, I only ate it because everyone else at the table ate theirs (I was rather young then) I liked it but only ever order medium rare for myself. The meat juices - not blood - are red, so I can see why others say it is blood. Fried or grilled meat becomes tougher the longer it is cooked
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:22 PM

Medium rare is the only way for me. As for steak tartare ugh no thanks.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:33 PM

We have a steak occasionally, fillet or ribeye, fried (pepper, no salt) on a high heat, leave 5 mins to relax, slice thinly and serve. That's one streak between the two of us. Med/rare.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 11:31 PM

I have never had a blue steak. Medium rare is the most adventurous I have been. It reminds me of the days of the Yuppie, when it was trendy to order the most expensive steak sandwich in the bar, then leave it after one bite; Look at me, I'm so rich, I can afford to waste my sandwich.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:43 AM

No but I went out on a first date with a man who ordered one. I’d never heard of it before so wasn’t expecting a slice of raw cow to be served directly across from me. It took everything in me to stop myself from choking on my food.
He may as well have just taken a bite out of the animal itself
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Not any more though.

IMO, it is not hard for the broilerman to do a well done steak. I think that the cooks get a tad angry when someone orders a great cut of beef and then ruins it by over-cooking it. He is, in effect, saying, "Here, try this. It's much better when the steak is juicy".
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
IMO, it is not hard for the broilerman to do a well done steak. I think that the cooks get a tad angry when someone orders a great cut of beef and then ruins it by over-cooking it. He is, in effect, saying, "Here, try this. It's much better when the steak is juicy".
Well, to be honest bakerman, who has the right to think that a steak ordered well-done is ruined because it's not served rare or medium-rare? The problem here seems to be celebrity chefs trying to tell us how we should eat our food!! It's only since poncy know-it-all tv chefs started cooking the way THEY like their food that the public feel it is the correct and only way it should be served. Well, it isn't! Anyone who tries to convince me that Pork should be served up slightly pink wants his head examined. Also the craze to serve chicken that has just turned from raw to done in order for it to be classed as moist and juicy, is just as dumb.

No way would I ever serve pink pork or just cooked chicken. because tv chefs say it's the correct way, even though it has been known for years that pork and chicken should never be served undercooked because of the risk of food poisoning.

I serve both still beautifully tender but 'well cooked'. and will continue to do so. Same with my steaks since I learned how to do them properly. 5 mins both sides without moving them on a high heat griddle, 5 mins resting time wrapped in foil and a clean teatowel until ready to serve. Does me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top