Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Your favourite towns/cities?

What are your favourite towns and cities?

And why?

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Re: Your favourite towns/cities?

The Old Town in Dubrovnik is now one of my favourite towns.

It has been rebuilt after it was ravaged in the Balkan conflict but all the history remains inside its high (80ft at some points) fortification walls. It is buzzing with visitors during the summer months and there is lots to see ..... the Sponza Palace, Franciscan Monestry, Cathedral, Rector's Palace and much more. If you are energetic enough you can climb the many steps to the top of the City Walls and walk around the town getting spectacular views of the town and the harbour.

After the walk it's nice to relax by the harbour or take one of the many boat trips that are always available.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Sorry Azz, I do not have one.
I do not like crowds. I much prefer the open spaces of Mother Nature plus there are less noises from mobile phones in the country.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2010, 11:09 AM

In this country my favourite is the quaint little seaside town of Dawlish ....... a trickling stream with an abundance of ducks and black swans runs through the town down to the sea. There is a pleasant green 'park' adjacent to the stream where you can relax and enjoy one of the best ice creams I've ever tasted

My favourite shopping city is Cardiff, great selection of shops and many Malls to shop undercover.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 02:11 AM

Mine would have to be Seattle, Washington. I've been there three time and want to return more with each visit. The atmosphere is so young, so ethnically diversified that it's alive. There's a wonderful open market known as Pike's Place that has hundred's of specialty "mom & pop" shops. I go there for German headcheese and other delicacies. I love to ride the ferry and eat pizza at Tutta Bella's. I've been there twice.

Street Singer at Pike's Place Market

Tutta Bella's Pizza

Tutta Bella Restaurant

dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 09:06 AM

That's only a little question then!
I'd be hard pressed to come up with a definitive answer but I'll do two cities which I've enjoyed
The first is relatively near to home and is Dublin. It's small enough to explore fairly easily, has some pleasant and pretty areas, with the river running through and the coastline, it has history and it is very very young and vibrant. I feel absolutely ancient there!
The second is Toronto. It's huge, it's bustling and busy, The Beaches area, beside the lake, is a lovely Bohemian type area, there are tram cars but mostly mostly it is the most relaxed, accepting, city I know. There are couples of every sort, same and mixed sex, black, white, brown, pink, any shade, from every part of the globe; there are groups of hugely assorted friends and workmates and it seems an absolute mixing pot of the world. I haven't been there is winter - I might feel differently if I had.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Glasgow - because it is my place of birth

New York though is favourite, Auckland would be next!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Inverness, . . Fort William . . . for me these two towns sum up what Scotland is all about.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2010, 05:39 PM

To live in or to visit?

We live near Stamford in the UK and it`s wonderful if you look up-but to live in?-Jekyl and Hyde-at night one hears it has it`s share of yooofs and loonies.

To visit?-So many cities-Rome,Venice,Verona,Florence, Prague to name a few abroad
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Don't do cities as I like to get away from the crowds for my recreation time...
But if I have to name one, like Nero Inverness has to be top of my list....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top