Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:04 PM

No yeast Naans or Pizza base

Nana/or Pizza base

With just four ingredients and no yeast, it is simple to mix up, but it is so soft and flavorful it also makes a nice base for a pizza and delicious wit h curry . Prep time does not include 1 hour of "resting

Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt

DIRECTIONS
Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
Stir in the yogurt till the dough is too stiff for a spoon, then knead it in the bowl till it holds together well, adding more flour if necessary.

Turn it out on a floured surface and continue kneading for about 5 minutes till the dough feels smooth and elastic.
Form the dough into a ball and put it in an oiled bowl, covered with a towel, to rest for an hour or longer.

Take the dough out and cut it into 10 equal pieces. Form each into a ball and press the balls flat into round discs.

Take 1 piece of dough at a time and roll it out on a floured surface till it is about 8-10 inches across and less than 1/4 inch thick.

Spread with a littler butter or spread and crush fresh garlic onto the top. Add a herb of your choice.

Serve the breads hot, fresh from the oven, or let them cool and wrap them up.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Re: No yeast Naans or Pizza base

Sounds good Goldilocks, how long and what temperature oven do you cook them in please?
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Sounds good Goldilocks, how long and what temperature oven do you cook them in please?
Hi I tend to but them on high electric. I have not got a fan oven though. My grandchildren love it when I divide the dough in two and make pizza. I tend to use tomatoe sauce for the base as I know the boys will eat them. Keep an eye on the naans as you don't want the base burning. I tend to put them on the top shelf on grease proof paper on a tray.

You will never eat shop brought again. I make a lot of curry so the naans freeze well too.

Enjoy x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 08:52 PM

I'm quite curious as to why this recipe is touted as being "no yeast". It's a pizza base, so it is a leavened bread, i.e. it has/needs some form of leavening.

There are numerous forms of leavening which include:

Baker's Yeast
Dry Yeast Powder
Active Yeast
Sourdough Starter
Yeast Water
Baking Powder

and so on

Why would you want to use baking powder in preference to yeast or better still sourdough?
Goldielocks
Spain

17-04-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I'm quite curious as to why this recipe is touted as being "no yeast". It's a pizza base, so it is a leavened bread, i.e. it has/needs some form of leavening.

There are numerous forms of leavening which include:

Baker's Yeast
Dry Yeast Powder
Active Yeast
Sourdough Starter
Yeast Water
Baking Powder

and so on

Why would you want to use baking powder in preference to yeast or better still sourdough?
Not sure what your point is really. I rarely have yeast in my cupboards but have the other ingredients. It's nice it's entirely up to you if you try it or not. I make several to freeze.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Not sure what your point is really. I rarely have yeast in my cupboards but have the other ingredients. It's nice it's entirely up to you if you try it or not. I make several to freeze.
It's not a criticism Goldielocks. It just seemed odd to announce a bread recipe as specifically "No Yeast". It almost sounds like you're saying yeast is a bad thing or makes a worse product.

I'm an avid and pretty experienced bread maker so if you were making such a statement I'd be interested in discussing it.

Is yeast, esp dry/powdered yeast difficult to obtain where you are?
Goldielocks
Spain

17-04-2016, 10:39 PM

It's not a criticism Goldielocks. It just seemed odd to announce a bread recipe as specifically "No Yeast". It almost sounds like you're saying yeast is a bad thing or makes a worse product.

I'm an avid and pretty experienced bread maker so if you were making such a statement I'd be interested in discussing it.

Is yeast, esp dry/powdered yeast difficult to obtain where you are?
No it was just to say it had no yeast. No hidden meaning. I was looking for an easier and quicker way to make a dough. I am a great fan of this recipe. There is a bread one which I plan to try a simular recipe. Apparently it keeps fresher and lasts a number of days. I used to use a bread making machine but the bread never stayed fresh
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-04-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
I was looking for an easier and quicker way to make a dough. I am a great fan of this recipe.
Making bread, any bread, is purely the alchemy of chemical reactions that occur with the basic 4 ingredients needed which are Flour, Water, Leavening and a little Salt.

Those reactions, are natural reactions which is to say that Nature just does it's thing because we are dealing with a living organism. Trying to "force" or speed up the processes in making dough is a bad idea imo. Good bread requires a decent fermentation time, the longer the better in many cases. Bread makers are largely useless machines that expend energy unnecessarily and which tend to produce an inferior product. They tend to take 1-2 hrs to produce a pretty tiny loaf that will get eaten about 10mins after it is produced by eager hungry people entranced by the spell of the wonderful smells coming from it.

Also, bread isn't meant to stay fresh for that long given what it is. Any bread which can stay fresh for more than a week is suspect imo and probably contains all manner of additives, preservatives and bad ingredients.

There is a general misconception that making bread dough is difficult, messy and takes up loads of one's time but it is not true. You can make a fabulous loaf for example which takes no more than 5-10 mins of actual "doing" time and yet which is made 9pm one night and baked 9am the following morning. That 12 hour period of fermenting gives the bread a lot of added flavour.
Goldielocks
Spain

18-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Making bread, any bread, is purely the alchemy of chemical reactions that occur with the basic 4 ingredients needed which are Flour, Water, Leavening and a little Salt.

Those reactions, are natural reactions which is to say that Nature just does it's thing because we are dealing with a living organism. Trying to "force" or speed up the processes in making dough is a bad idea imo. Good bread requires a decent fermentation time, the longer the better in many cases. Bread makers are largely useless machines that expend energy unnecessarily and which tend to produce an inferior product. They tend to take 1-2 hrs to produce a pretty tiny loaf that will get eaten about 10mins after it is produced by eager hungry people entranced by the spell of the wonderful smells coming from it.

Also, bread isn't meant to stay fresh for that long given what it is. Any bread which can stay fresh for more than a week is suspect imo and probably contains all manner of additives, preservatives and bad ingredients.

There is a general misconception that making bread dough is difficult, messy and takes up loads of one's time but it is not true. You can make a fabulous loaf for example which takes no more than 5-10 mins of actual "doing" time and yet which is made 9pm one night and baked 9am the following morning. That 12 hour period of fermenting gives the bread a lot of added flavour.

I have made bread the traditional way. For me simplicity is the answer these days. I prefer to be out and about and enjoying life.

Being retired I prefer to look at the wonders of nature rather than the why's and wherefore of bread making and enjoy a nice meal at the end of the day. Not a criticism though. We are all different
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 10:46 AM

Thanks for that goldielocks we do use yeast but it would be quicker not to sometimes. I also use grated cauliflower mixed with cheese as a base for pizza sometimes that is quite nice and better if you have a gluten intolerant friend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top