Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 06:05 PM

Home-made Tater Tots

Hi everyone.

Was looking at recipes online for something to cook for snacks for he who must obey and myself whilst watching a good film and Yum, found this recipe for Tater Tots. They turned out delicious and all that was needed to accompany the large dish of em was my Tomato Ketchup! They went down a treat and will certainly be doing them again.
Try them please, I promise you will thoroughly enjoy them.

Ingredients you will need:

3 to 4 Potatoes (I used Reds but I’m sure any variety will be ok)
1 teaspoon of salt to taste
½ teaspoon of pepper to taste
Olive Oil (didn’t have any so just used vegetable oil)

Now I must add that although it wasn’t part of the recipe, I also used a pinch of paprika, pinch of garlic salt, a generous grating of cheddar cheese and a pinch of onion powder into my tot mixture but it is entirely up to you whether you include these extra ingredients. this was just my own personal preference.
You only need the ingredients in the recipe to have yummy Tater Tots.

Orf we go……

Parboil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain.
Using the courser part of a grater, Grate the potatoes into a bowl. (or if you prefer, mash em)
Carefully stir in the salt and pepper but not the oil as that is for drizzling over them later,
(also add the extra ingredients now that I used as well)

You will need to set your oven (depending on your oven) to 425-450F.

Line your oven tray with either parchment paper or foil (lightly grease if using foil)

Using your hands, shape the mix into small balls or cylinder shapes and lay each one onto the oven tray. When you have done that, gently drizzle or spray the oil over each Tot.

Put into preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes then turn them and cook for another 15 minutes. They should be golden brown when ready. Be careful not to burn them if needing to cook them a little bit longer to turn to a golden brown colour.

Put them into a warmed bowl and tuck in to the best home-made Tater Tots I’ve ever tasted - just add ketchup!!.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Re: Home-made Tater Tots

Hi

I will try them tomorrow.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 06:25 PM

That sounds like my kind of tasty nibble
I fancy adding the grated cheese and garlic too ... they sound great additions.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2016, 06:29 PM

Can't see em being up to much without the added ingredients though, it's just potatoes !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Can't see em being up to much without the added ingredients though, it's just potatoes !
You could be right there Malcolm, I recall I bought a packet of shop bought ones a long time ago and found that they tasted truly awful, bland and boring, so they ended up in the bin. But adding extras to the mix really zings them up and I found them delicious. Next time I will try adding some crushed bacon bits as well !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 03:20 PM

SG, I will try making them once my Welsh Cakes have been completely digested! It won't be today as l'm a bit full!
I did try your other recipe where the dish was lined with grated potato which was very nice!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
You could be right there Malcolm, I recall I bought a packet of shop bought ones a long time ago and found that they tasted truly awful, bland and boring, so they ended up in the bin. But adding extras to the mix really zings them up and I found them delicious. Next time I will try adding some crushed bacon bits as well !
I always add some of my own ingredients to some folks ordinary sounding recipes, people's tastes are very different when it comes to food prep and flavour.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 10:46 AM

They sound nice SG and like a version of oven-baked rösti which are flat rather than cylinder shaped
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-10-2016, 10:50 AM

That is true Malcolm. It's funny how a bit of zing into dishes completely alters the taste of something that is nice for some but decidedly bland for others.
For example, When doing Pork Steaks or Chops (I need say no more about Pork need I?) tasteless half the time, so when making the gravy, I now always add a dollop of tomato puree, a good shake of garlic salt and believe it or not a dollop of sweet chilli sauce! It really zings up the gravy and is very nice over the steaks.
Of course he who must obey commented on how nice the new gravy was. I just smile because he loathes tomatoes or anything containing them. (what he doesn't know won't harm him.) .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Hi Art, good girl, I bought a packet of cardboard cones and they are ideal when watching TV. (saves on the trays, plates and forks. lol)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top