Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Individual au gratin Potatoes

Hi everyone, made these successfully yesterday for Sunday lunch as had three family members join us. They went perfectly with the Rib Eye Steaks and mixed Veg side dishes. I used my Muffin Tin to cook them and thankfully they turned out perfect. Compliments galore from two gorilla’s so knew they were okay.
Thought I would share the Recipe with you.

Now the recipe did say to cook potatoes in the cups from raw but I am a sceptic when it comes to raw potato and oven timings (never trust them) so what I did was just bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, added the whole potatoes and boiled them for exactly 5 minutes before I let them cool and sliced them (no longer than 5 minutes though, it was just to ensure they were definitely soft when taken out of the oven to serve later.) I’ve had far too many dishes where the author said to use raw potatoes, where I have followed the recipe timings to the tee and yet the potatoes have still come out just that little bit harder than I like, so I never take a chance that they will be slightly undercooked by pre-boiling for exactly 5 minutes first !
Anyway, onwards…….

Lightly grease or spray each cup of the tray you intend to use.
Preheat your oven to 375/190/Gas mark 5

INDIVIDUAL AU GRATIN POTATOES

Slice potatoes very thinly
Layer 3 potato slices into each cup
Put a sprinkling of Cheddar Cheese and a sprinkling of finely chopped Spring Onion or green onion.
Repeat this layering about 5 times or until the muffin cup is full
Pour 2 tablespoons of Double Cream over each cupful
Cover with Foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the Foil and bake for a further 20-25 minutes

That’s it. As I say, if you prefer to follow the recipe to the tee, don’t bother to pre boil the potatoes for the 5 minutes as it certainly didn’t say that in the recipe. We all do our different versions after all.. I also added a pinch of Salt and Black Pepper seasoning to mine but again, there was no seasoning mentioned in the original recipe.

Enjoy
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Re: Individual au gratin Potatoes

They sound lovely Shroppy, I will give them a try.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 02:19 PM

Thanks Twink, they really were nice and I will do again for just he who must obey and myself as they are individuals.
I get quite fed up with the usual whole, boiled, mashed, sauted and chipped potatoes for every evening dinner so any different type of potato recipe where I know there will be none left over, I love to try out, and just to have a change.

Hope you enjoy them Twink.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Try cutting potatoes into small cubes ( parboil first if you prefer) then toss them in melted garlic butter, spread out on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt and cook in the oven, 180C, for 35-40 mins.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 03:58 PM

I'm with you for par boiling potatoes prior to using them in an oven sg, had too many hard lumps over the years to trust them to cook properly these days.

Your recipe sounds lovely will have to try it. Although I've just realised I haven't cooked any potatoes in weeks just me at lunch times these days so tend not to bother to cook much.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thanks Twink, they really were nice and I will do again for just he who must obey and myself as they are individuals.
I get quite fed up with the usual whole, boiled, mashed, sauted and chipped potatoes for every evening dinner so any different type of potato recipe where I know there will be none left over, I love to try out, and just to have a change.

Hope you enjoy them Twink.

What about rosti tatties???
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-02-2017, 12:56 PM

True UJ, Rosti pots are delicious too, but had them with dinners so was trying something new.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

17-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Shroppy, I just had to write and tell you that I had them with rump steak. mushrooms and steamed broccoli and they were delicious. Thank you for the recipe, I will definitely be having them again.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Shroppy, I just had to write and tell you that I had them with rump steak. mushrooms and steamed broccoli and they were delicious. Thank you for the recipe, I will definitely be having them again.
Thanks Twink, pleased you enjoyed them. Naughty but Nice!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top