Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Making life a lot easier at Christmas

Easy Peasy way to free up your oven hobs on Christmas day or Boxing day. Simply roast your vegetables. So easy and bags of room on top of the stove to do the gravy etc. whilst the Joint is resting, as will I

My mob are visiting Boxing day, We're having a Gammon Joint with all the trimmings, The veg they seem to love are Roasted Parsnips, Carrots and Sprouts, so I just get an oven tray dish, Peel and chop the Parsnips and Carrots into batons, cut the prepared sprouts lengthways in half, (quarters if really large) lay the Parsnips and Carrot batons in the pan,(Not the sprouts yet though) drizzle them all with Olive Oil (or any oil if you don't have Olive Oil) tossing them with either your hands or a spoon. sprinkle either fresh or dried Thyme, Rosemary. Sage or mixed herbs and Salt and Pepper.

Preheat your oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6 / Fan 180.

Pop the vegetables into the oven the same time as you put your Roast Potatoes in. If you have a large enough oven pan, you can use the same for the Roasties and the Vegetables.

Cook for 30 minutes then add the Sprouts. (ensuring you only use a spoon to toss them this time, not your hands.LOL) Cook for a further 15 minutes and I promise, the vegetables will be cooked to a tee, with the sprouts having a lovely nutty flavour. Much much nicer than steaming or boiling them.

So instead of slaving over a hot oven top, I intend to be squaffing a glass of wine with the family and pigging out on my Ferrero Rocher chocs whilst the oven does all the work.

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy-Christmas-Vegetable-Traybake-7.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	4746  
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 10:13 PM

Re: Making life a lot easier at Christmas

Sounds good to me Shropshiregirl
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 11:41 PM

Sounds like a plan !
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 04:03 AM

I absolutely love this!
I call it winter roasties, as it's my go-to dish for winter veggies.
The only difference is I also add sweet potatoes, and if I'm not roasting potatoes, I'll add red potatoes too.
It makes for a wonderful fry-up the next day too, if there's any leftovers.
I'll be making it Christmas day!
Cheers!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Yes well those of us who don't have a top and bottom oven, we do it in the same oven WITH the turkey and instead of using oil, I tend to use lard.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 10:23 AM

I quite like roasted veg, and often do a variety.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 01:57 PM

I love roasted veg, quite often do them. Just so sweet and crunchy.
Smile
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 02:15 PM

I also love roasted veg but find there is a fine line between roasted and burnt.

The first meal I cooked for Mrs LD involved borrowing a hostess trolley. What happened to those?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 02:41 PM

In actual fact...I think I will just chuck everything into the roasting pan today.

Yum.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Roast veggies are nice but I'll get my trusty steamer out I can do 4 lots of steamed veg while boiling potatoes in the bottom all on one ring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top