Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2011, 12:27 PM

The Plot Thickens

As July & my scenic vacation approaches I continue to search for ways to make it both better and less expensive. To this end yesterday, I researched ways to get from Portland, Oregon, my home, to San Francisco, California. my first destination. From there I will board the Green Tortoise tour bus heading on my 9 day trek through the Canyons of the West.

I had planned on driving my Smart Car, that gets 40 mpg, to San Francisco, & then parking it in a long term parking facility.I recently discovered, to my dismay, that can get expensive, costing as much as $17 a day. That's an additional $170 added to the 1300 mile round trip cost for gas & meals.

With some research into air fares, bus fares and train fares on that same trip it became obvious that trains are the way to go. It's just $244 round trip with no parking and an 18 hour overnight ride aboard a moving restaurant/sleeper. They don't charge you extra for luggage and drop me close to my destination. I may not need to grab a taxi.

I made a reservation aboard an Amtrak train leaving Portland, OR on July 20, at 2:225PM, arriving in San Francisco, CA at 8AM. I have a reservation already waiting for me at the Green Tortoise Hostel in a private room for the night of the 21st. That gives me more than 24 hours to explore & photograph scenic San Francisco, CA. I love it when a plan comes together. Now there's no driving, no parking fees, no costly taxis and no junk food on a draining 637 mile drive down the coastline on a hot day in July. The plot thickens.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Re: The Plot Thickens

Well sorted Bob, sounds a real bargain that return fare on the train, with no stress and an enjoyable journey. The cheapest travel in UK is usually bus, the train fares are so expensive they are beyond a joke!
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

21-04-2011, 09:58 PM

A wise move Bob ............ Would have been worried about you travelling all that way in a tiny wee Smart Car , dont think they are built for long distances are they ?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Sounds like you're enjoying every minute of planning this trip Bob...going to be a relaxing journey for you-let the train take the strain!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

I love the smart car, would like a Cream and black one, very smart.I also like the Citroen Dolly and would have that incream and have a daisy on the bonnet. But I cant drive! Annie.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2011, 06:36 PM

It's beginning to look good, if you can do that trip to San Francisco on the train it will be a nice relaxing way to start your holiday.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Sounds like an awesome adventure! and I'm sure you will post some great pictures of your travels.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2011, 09:18 PM

It is a big adventure. I have no idea what to expect, who will be traveling with me or how I will like the routine set by the tour leader or group. I have my own agenda in mind, basically photograph the heck out of some of the most scenic spots on earth but there's bound to me much more to this tour. 9 days can be a very long time. I'm grateful the round trip train arrangements take the pressure off driving home.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top