Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Are warnings needed?

The woman in this interview is complaining about the lack of health warnings on some bottles of booze. How much more info does she need? The dangers of smoking, excessive drinking and eating have been known about for years but they didn't stop this woman from nearly drinking herself to death with her excessive daily wine consumption. Didn't she realise how much she was supping every day? The amount she consumed alone should have told her that she was border-line alcoholic and in danger of harming herself.

Rather than take responsibility for her own actions she's wanting others to be responsible for her. Only the threat of imminent death has stopped her from drinking.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-48576...alcohol-labels
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Re: Are warnings needed?

I can't stand people that blame everyone else for their failings. I suppose she's after compensation or something.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:20 PM

IMO, she's just an attention-seeker - nobody's as stupid as she's pretending to be .....

Even if she doesn't "know what a unit is" she could assume, say, it's a glassful, so, even then, she could realise that she's drinking well over 30 "units" a week .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IMO, she's just an attention-seeker - nobody's as stupid as she's pretending to be .....

Even if she doesn't "know what a unit is" she could assume, say, it's a glassful, so, even then, she could realise that she's drinking well over 30 "units" a week .....
Indeed. I don't think anyone really knows what a unit is but we all know that if we have far too many of them, it will cause us harm. that's fine, people can do whatever they want but don't blame others.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Taking responsibility for oneself seems to have gone out of the window , there is always someone else to blame....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:43 PM

I have just picked this up on the internet

One alcohol unit is measured as 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol. This equals one 25ml single measure of whisky (ABV 40%), or a third of a pint of beer (ABV 5-6%) or half a standard (175ml) glass of red wine (ABV 12%).

All bottles of alcohol give their volume so she would have to be an idiot if she couldn't work out she was drinking too much!
One 75cl bottle of wine is approx 9 units!

There is no reason anybody should be held responsible, apart from herself, because any doctor would tell her, if she asked!

Perhaps she should sue the TV soap operas, as there is somebody in every scene of those drinking alcohol!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:14 PM

I saw that on the news & thought was a daft thing to complain about. Everyone over the age of 15 knows about the dangers of drinking too much, drinking & driving etc. If in doubt don't drink alcohol. Simples!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:15 PM

This, in my opinion, is the result of the litigious society in which we now live. This coupled with the 'nanny state' allows those who wish to do so to make claims if certain information is not given, they do not even have to use common sense, just suffer negatively in some way and make a claim.

If anyone wishes to see where this is all heading then just look at America, which I understand is far more litigious than the UK.

Perhaps our American members can confirm or deny this? It would be interesting to know directly from those living there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
This, in my opinion, is the result of the litigious society in which we now live. This coupled with the 'nanny state' allows those who wish to do so to make claims if certain information is not given, they do not even have to use common sense, just suffer negatively in some way and make a claim.

If anyone wishes to see where this is all heading then just look at America, which I understand is far more litigious than the UK.

Perhaps our American members can confirm or deny this? It would be interesting to know directly from those living there.
^^ This exactly.

When we were in the US, Mrs LD tripped and fell over in a cafe. Luckily she wasn't injured but the manager, after asking if she was OK, got her to sign a form saying that she wasn't going to sue them. It didn't even cross our minds but the cafe was well prepared for this sort of thing. Pathetic really.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:41 PM

I agree she is just trying to blame everyone else for her addiction..... however I might be wrong but isn't it true that posting the health risks on cigarettes reduced sales? Maybe some people are stupid and need a reminder that booze is addictive and bad for your health?

Edited to say.... Licorice allsorts need a health risk... oh and doughnuts....

THESE PRODUCTS MAKE YOU FAT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top