Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
On that course (free) I learned so much about food and how that is processed by our bodies. It was not so much that I was eating junk food as I wasn't. It was good food but not knowing anything much about food, cooking or healthy eating plus necessary exercise, over time the weight had gone on and resulted in high blood sugar levels.
This is gold and confirms my own views

Food education is absolutely key
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Keezoy - these are the people who have recommended the Ketogenic Diet - NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.

I should have mentioned in the OP that my friend, who is in her 50s, does have multiple health issues - asthma, arthritis in her legs leading to mobility problems, is given to numerous chest infections and bouts of pneumonia for which she is almost permanently on antibiotics and/or steroids - which add to the weight problem. She has also recently had recurring violent bilious attacks.

Her partner is a chef - so no junk food in their house - but neither of them do any form of exercise at all - unless you include reaching for the TV remote control or walking upstairs when in need of the loo.

'They' want her to lose weight fairly quickly so they can operate to remove her gall bladder and then either staple her stomach or afix a gastric band. Neither of which would appeal to me.

It sounds as though she is on a similar course to Baz - just a more drastic version - says she has been given lots of information - plus lots of do's and don'ts.

Have been looking at the Ketogenic Diet on line - and find it worrying. It is used in america supposedly to help children who develop epilepsy. Not sure if it is used that way here. The possible side effects are very unpleasant and I still do not believe that forcing ones body into a state of Ketosis is a safe way to go.

I am with Realist 100% on this matter - food education is what is needed. Do they not teach Domestic Science in schools these days?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by realist ->
this is gold and confirms my own views

food education is absolutely key
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Do they not teach Domestic Science in schools these days?
From what I hear not much is taught about food and how our bodies process it, they prefer instead to stuff students' heads full of academic subjects. What good are they when a person is maybe unhealthy, perhaps obese and on the road to diabetes!

Physical exercise as I knew it at school, gym work, running, football, swimming, track and field sports, cross-country running etc., is also sacrificed in the name of academia.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This is gold and confirms my own views
Many small changes made add to the overall effectiveness of this change of lifestyle. Like realising that the wholemeal bread I thought was better when in fact bread with seeds is better than that. Finding out that what I believed to be a healthy breakfast cereal did in fact contain 29 teaspoons of sugar! Likewise the fruit drinks in cartons are not as healthy as they are made out to be, they are often full of sugar too!

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Food education is absolutely key
Together with some exercise too. Just changing the food consumed will not do as well without exercise. I had to stop my half-an-hour daily walk due to our very cold weather and very warm weather, my heart condition would not allow it. I put weight on during that time, proving the need for both food education and exercise to make that change of lifestyle.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by baz46 ->
many small changes made add to the overall effectiveness of this change of lifestyle. Like realising that the wholemeal bread i thought was better when in fact bread with seeds is better than that. Finding out that what i believed to be a healthy breakfast cereal did in fact contain 29 teaspoons of sugar! Likewise the fruit drinks in cartons are not as healthy as they are made out to be, they are often full of sugar too!

together with some exercise too. Just changing the food consumed will not do as well without exercise. I had to stop my half-an-hour daily walk due to our very cold weather and very warm weather, my heart condition would not allow it. I put weight on during that time, proving the need for both food education and exercise to make that change of lifestyle.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I had never heard of this one before - but a friend of mine has just been put on it by the pre-diabetic team. She is clinically/morbidly obese tipping the scales at 26stone and being only 5ft 2in in height.

This diet involves cutting down carbs but, as she is so obese, she has been advised to cut them out all together!

She is not currently allowed any carbs, dairy, fats or eggs, and is living on just meat, fish, fruit and veg. She has lost 1 stone in 3 weeks but, as a side effect, has developed "Keto Flu" which will apparently go in a week or so.

I really don't understand how forcing the body into a state of Ketosis can possibly be regarded as healthy. Some of the other side effects as:-

Bad breath - at the moment she could fell an ox from 100ft.
Fatigue.
Constipation
Insomnia

She was trying to persuade me to join her in this torture - I did put on a bit of weight while wrestling with 'thing' - but I prefer to give it a miss. Instead I have reduced my portion sizes, cut out snacks and am exercising again - lost half a stone in three weeks.

Opinions on the 'Keto Diet'? has anyone tried it?
Quite honestly I think we, and she should leave your friends diet to the experts who are already advising her. She has enough to worry about without the rest of the world "advising" her too. Horses for courses! If she is morbidly obese her health is at risk and there are qualified who know what they are talking already on her case.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Quite honestly I think we, and she should leave your friends diet to the experts who are already advising her. She has enough to worry about without the rest of the world "advising" her too. Horses for courses! If she is morbidly obese her health is at risk and there are qualified who know what they are talking already on her case.
It's a forum Cupfull, we are interested and love to hear other members opinions, but have no intention of meddling......
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's a forum Cupfull, we are interested and love to hear other members opinions, but have no intention of meddling......
Yes, my apologies,
I'm overweight but not obese and I get too many 'friends' giving 'advice' even my DiL who is diabetic telling me not to diet.... So I tend to sound off when I perhaps shouldn't.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Silver Tabby re your post #12
Your friend sounds in a very bad way . What a sad situation she’s found herself in ?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top