Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Bank of mum and dad 'one of UK's biggest mortgage lenders'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49477404

Parents spend so much money to get their children onto the housing ladder that they are now among the biggest lenders in the UK, a survey suggests.

The average parental contribution for homebuyers this year is £24,100, up by more than £6,000 compared to last year, according to Legal & General (L&G).
Collectively parents have given £6.3bn, high enough to rank the bank of mum and dad 10th if it was a mortgage lender. Clydesdale Bank, the UK's 10th largest mortgage lender lent £5bn last year.

L&G said thousands of UK buyers were reliant on their parents to either get onto the housing ladder in the first place, or upgrade to a larger home.

Almost a fifth of those who said they had, or would help a family member buy a home, said it was because they felt it was their personal responsibility to help out. But the financial services firm warned that parents' generosity could hurt their standard of living in retirement.
That's a surprise ..... I didn't realise so much money was involved in family loans .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Re: Bank of mum and dad 'one of UK's biggest mortgage lenders'

How else are they going to do it?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:37 AM

I am surprised the loan is as little as just under £25K. Our children rarely ask us for money, but if we see a need we are happy to fund them, it is a gift not a loan. My husband and I spend very little on ourselves these days, we prefer to spend it on our family. I have never added it up, as I am not good at maths, but I guess over the years we have given them in the region of £250K to which they are welcome.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:41 PM

I brought my house in 1967

My Mother gave me £700 to help so I could get a mortgage because my wages were to low because of the price of the house.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 12:37 PM

That was a lot of money then .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am surprised the loan is as little as just under £25K. Our children rarely ask us for money, but if we see a need we are happy to fund them, it is a gift not a loan. My husband and I spend very little on ourselves these days, we prefer to spend it on our family. I have never added it up, as I am not good at maths, but I guess over the years we have given them in the region of £250K to which they are welcome.
And they still ask you for money albeit rarely ?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How else are they going to do it?
By working and earning enough to apply for a mortgage?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-08-2019, 02:26 PM

The average deposit now is £30 grand
How long will it take them to save that as well as paying exorbitant rent and if any student loans ?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The average deposit now is £30 grand
How long will it take them to save that as well as paying exorbitant rent and if any student loans ?
Maybe start with a smaller property in a less expensive area?

When I started on the ladder, it was a three bedroom terrace in Hertfordshire about 20 miles from central London so the prices were quite high I suppose. I think the deposit was several grand and that was in 1972 or thereabouts. Around a year's salary.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Maybe start with a smaller property in a less expensive area?

When I started on the ladder, it was a three bedroom terrace in Hertfordshire about 20 miles from central London so the prices were quite high I suppose. I think the deposit was several grand and that was in 1972 or thereabouts. Around a year's salary.

Few grand deposit in 1972?

Blimey, we were lucky then, because we bought our first house just before 1970.
A brand new 3 bedroomed in a Northamptonshire village, backing on to farm land.
It cost £2,000 plus an extra £200 quid if we wanted a garage added.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top