Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Re: Help needed with Browser

New laptops are cheap and fast, and yes W10 includes Edge, but that doesn't mean you've got to use it.

Old laptops can be used as a backup for docs & pics. More than just a backup, somewhere to view them too.

LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie1944 ->
I had tried to upgrade earlier to W10 which I have on the laptop and for some reason and was unable to do so, can't remember why now.
Yes, I've talked to several people who said the same and when I went over to check out their computers there was not enough disc space left to allow the download .. it's a fairly large download and not too far short of 20gig and of course W7 can't be stripped out until W10 is fully installed.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm not sure that anybody is obliged to 'upgrade' to W10.
Of course no computer user will be obliged to upgrade, but not to do so would leave the cyber door open to who knows what without the regular W7 security patches.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie1944 ->
I had tried to upgrade earlier to W10 which I have on the laptop and for some reason and was unable to do so, can't remember why now.
You're lucky.

Windows 7 is a very good OS and, when Microsoft support is discontinued for it, you'll not be bothered by incessant and sometimes very protracted updates.

Just ensure you have a good anti-virus programme and also download 'Malwarebytes' (free) and 'CCleaner' (also free).
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)

22-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You're lucky.

Windows 7 is a very good OS and, when Microsoft support is discontinued for it, you'll not be bothered by incessant and sometimes very protracted updates.

Just ensure you have a good anti-virus programme and also download 'Malwarebytes' (free) and 'CCleaner' (also free).
As a matter of interest, how large is the Malwarebytes Free version download. I ask so that I can compare the loaded file with SpyBot S&D Free version.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 04:43 PM

Something I noticed after installing W.7 recently was that it was nippy enough until SP1 and subsequent updates were installed. Then it seemed to get sluggish in operation. A couple of well-featured photo editing programs that I own run very well on W.10 but are extremely slow to load on W.7. This applies to the current versions of Firefox and Chrome as well.

The computer W.7 is installed on isn't that bad. It's got an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, so maybe the slowness wouldn't particularly be hardware related. Perhaps it's just that newer software doesn't run all that well on what is now an old operating system. That could be a reason for W.7's demise rather than a lack of support from Microsoft.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
As a matter of interest, how large is the Malwarebytes Free version download. I ask so that I can compare the loaded file with SpyBot S&D Free version.
Sorry. I have no idea.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Something I noticed after installing W.7 recently was that it was nippy enough until SP1 and subsequent updates were installed. Then it seemed to get sluggish in operation. A couple of well-featured photo editing programs that I own run very well on W.10 but are extremely slow to load on W.7. This applies to the current versions of Firefox and Chrome as well.

The computer W.7 is installed on isn't that bad. It's got an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, so maybe the slowness wouldn't particularly be hardware related. Perhaps it's just that newer software doesn't run all that well on what is now an old operating system. That could be a reason for W.7's demise rather than a lack of support from Microsoft.
Wasn't Win10 supposed to remove the "bloat" that had accumulated with the various incarnations of Windows over many versions?

Certainly I recall that there were many speed tests that confirmed, on a similar spec machine, Win10 was faster than previous versions including Win7 in all departments that these typical speed tests measure.

Whether that is still true I don't know. Despite it fudging start up times WIN10 seems pretty fast on all my machine whether 32 or 64 bit especially when performing complex tasks like video conversions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top