Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Netflix angers film-makers with 'insulting' speed-up function

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50220575
The Incredibles director Brad Bird and Knocked Up's Judd Apatow were among those who tweeted their concerns.

Bird, whose films also include Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, said it was "another cut to the already bleeding-out cinema experience".

Apatow, also creator of the Netflix series Love, said the function was "ridiculous and insulting".

The feature allows users to play content from half the normal speed up to one-and-a-half times faster, and is reportedly only available to Android mobile users.

Netflix vice-president Keela Robinson said in a statement: "We regularly test new features that could help improve Netflix.

"This last test has generated a fair amount of feedback - both for and against. This is a mobile only test and gives people the ability to vary the speed at which they watch on phones or tablets...

"It's a feature that has long been available on DVD players - and has been frequently requested by our members. For example, people looking to rewatch their favourite scene or wanting to go slower because it's a foreign language title."

The function could also appeal to viewers with a backlog of box sets to binge on. In fact, some people have for a while been indulging in "speed-watching".

There's even an "efficiency expert" out there who advises watching at faster speeds to make the most of your viewing time.

"More jokes, more laughs, more drama, more suspense - same time," Michael Kirk, creator of the Efficiency is Everything website, writes. "Efficiency: Like an assembly line, if we increase the speed of the line, we will see more completed.

"Same jokes, same plot, and at 10% faster - you won't notice a difference."
What about at 50% faster, though .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Re: Netflix angers film-makers with 'insulting' speed-up function

Does it mean that the voices are speeded up too - like Pink & Perky?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Does it mean that the voices are speeded up too - like Pink & Perky?
Good question .....

Netflix's Keela Robinson said the company had put in an audio pitch adjustment feature.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Good question .....

I suppose it is handy if you want to watch a two hour film in an hour and half. Not for me though.

Although there are a few films I have seen where that would have been useful. (95% faster perhaps)
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Boo hoo .

Authors are going to complain if we skim read? Visual artists will be upset if we walk to quickly through the gallery? Chefs are going to be enraged when we chew and swallow too fast (shouldn't only our mothers get to rightly complain about that )?

Whine over your glass of Dom on your Seychelles vacation paid for with the mountain of money made from your Netflix deal.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 10:08 PM

I often watch Youtube videos speeded up by at least 25% the voices are higher pitched but it get through them quicker otherwise they can drag a bit - amateurs tend to waffle on a bit..

I am not sure I would want to watch movies at a higher speed unless they are really poor in which case it is better to just turn them off.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I often watch Youtube videos speeded up by at least 25% the voices are higher pitched but it get through them quicker otherwise they can drag a bit - amateurs tend to waffle on a bit..

I am not sure I would want to watch movies at a higher speed unless they are really poor in which case it is better to just turn them off.

Oh I agree. A 25min video on how to undo a screw.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top