Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Re: Who were these many "Aunties" in the 50's?

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Interesting post. My maternal grandmother died when I was about 3. When my grandad married again my brother, sister and I referred to our new "gran" as "Auntie Dottie" not grandma. Aunt Dottie was a lovely lady and we all adored her but my mother would not have us calling her "grandma". She just said "Your Gran is gone"..That's that. But among indigenous Australians especially in the urban clans "Auntie" is an honorific title bestowed on senior female elders that young people know they can rely on for advice and support. They also play an important disciplinary role with young people and wield a level of authority that is deeply respected. THe same applies to "Uncle"
We could do with using that example here and now keezoy, society here seems to have lost its way....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 12:59 PM

My growing up years were in the 1950s / early 1960s and can recall 'Aunties' and 'Uncles', many of which were friends of my parents, neighbours etc. They were also part of the community in those days, especially those who were neighbours. If in need of help, or in trouble, it was possible just to knock on the door and someone would be there. It was an 'extended family' really. Of course, that also meant anyone getting in trouble this would also be relayed to parents, they would probably know before I told them or if I chose not to!

All this was so different to how society seems these days in most places, more's the pity really.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 03:06 PM

I had a few 'Uncles', my Mothers friends.
Seriously she was happily married to my Dad really. He didn't seem to mind either. My favourite was Uncle Jack.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Surprising isn't it? Doesn't happen anymore, sadly.

HWMO also said that when he was a kid living in Shoreditch,in the East End, he and his friends lived in a street where just around the corner, there was a row of 7 terraced houses. both of the end terraces were bombed and the middle five survived. Now in the early 50's, ready for demolishing, he and his little mates used to throw stones at the broken windows, They would always get caught by the local bobby on his bike. He would give a clip round the ear to whichever of them he managed to catch, then frogmarch them home (for another clip round the ear) without even having to ask for their address. He knew everyone!

Lucky if we even see a Bobby nowadays!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Quite a few aunties n uncles when we were wee, but most were friends of our parents. Not all though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I had a few 'Uncles', my Mothers friends.
Seriously she was happily married to my Dad really. He didn't seem to mind either. My favourite was Uncle Jack.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 04:54 PM

I'm called auntie sue by my friends grown up kids it's just a term of endearment I've known them since teenagers and now their children call me auntie sue .

Very touching to be loved by them
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I'm called auntie sue by my friends grown up kids it's just a term of endearment I've known them since teenagers and now their children call me auntie sue .

Very touching to be loved by them
Much better than "Auntie M" I guess, Susan
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Interesting post. My maternal grandmother died when I was about 3. When my grandad married again my brother, sister and I referred to our new "gran" as "Auntie Dottie" not grandma. Aunt Dottie was a lovely lady and we all adored her but my mother would not have us calling her "grandma". She just said "Your Gran is gone"..That's that. But among indigenous Australians especially in the urban clans "Auntie" is an honorific title bestowed on senior female elders that young people know they can rely on for advice and support. They also play an important disciplinary role with young people and wield a level of authority that is deeply respected. THe same applies to "Uncle"
I came here to add similarly that invoking the title suggests more familiarity than "Mr." or "Mrs." Good do know the practice is widespread.

Here in the South, it is also sometimes an honorific way to address an older lady as "Ms" or "Miss" with their first name - but only if she invites you to do so. I think I'll go with this one .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 11:59 AM

I had a number of Aunties and Uncles and it took me years to unravel what their actual relationship was.

For example an Auntie Thelma and Uncle Jim seemed integral to our family Christmas/New Year at my grandmother's house; he was considered the only person 'dark' enough to be the first caller on New Years Day bearing a lump of coal (god knows where that tradition came from). I can only remember them as owning a china shop for many years then selling up and buying a hotel on the seafront at Looe.

It turns out their only relationship to my family was that they were my grandmother's next door neighbours during the war.

Currently I am 'Uncle' to a large number of my friends' grandchildren in Malaysia but as stated that is more a matter of respect than relationship.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top