Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Re: Who Are These People?

We had two men like Steptoe & Son, they were called 'totters' no horse, just big handcart. They would always haggle.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'm sure they will end up on a stall at a car boot sale, or a second hand stall at a market. There's money in rubbish.
Roxy, l wondered that?
I couldn’t be bothered to put them on a ‘for sale’ site or Freecycle as then you have people calling and know where you live.
I like to stay, Private.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
We had two men like Steptoe & Son, they were called 'totters' no horse, just big handcart. They would always haggle.

Cinderella, l remember when l was a child, the rag and bone man came round and l wanted a signet ring. I gave him my mother’s rabbit fur gloves that l thought she didn’t wear anymore!
When she found out, she went mad and trawled the streets to find him.
She gave him back the ring and got her gloves back.

Another time, when l was about 12, l wanted a yellow chick. A friend gave me some rags and l got the chick. I hid him in a box in the airing cupboard but my brother twitted on me as he couldn’t sleep with the chirping!
My mother was mad with me but let me keep it. I called him Sparky and kept him in the shed.
One day, Sparky flew into our neighbour’s garden and their Alsatian killed him. The neighbour gave me 5/- as he was so sorry.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:37 PM

I often put unwanted items outside my gate..leave a note..free..always gone by morning.

I also advertise furniture,large items,on a local site...of course it's free ,and must be collected...tv,shed,freezer,dressers,sideboard,all gone,at no charge to me,council charge £35 to take a mattress away.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:44 PM

We have a couple of lads who often drive along our avenue in a pickup with Marty's Metals & Reclamation painted on the side. They will stop and recover anything left on the roadside that could be reused or repaired and if not repairable then anything metal for scrap.

I think it is a good free service they give and one day I might phone the 07 etc number on the side when I have an old large appliance in need of scrapping. Long may Marty's Metals stay active :thumbup:
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 02:31 PM

We left a lot of girly toys in good condition, out at the top of our drive, in a bag with a sign saying free please take, it was gone when I looked a while later. Good I thought.
Imagine my surprise next day when the door bell rang & there was a little girl with her bigger brother & holding a box of chocolates. She said thank you for the toys & gave me the chocolates. It made my day that. Such a sweet child.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Cinderella, l remember when l was a child, the rag and bone man came round and l wanted a signet ring. I gave him my mother’s rabbit fur gloves that l thought she didn’t wear anymore!
When she found out, she went mad and trawled the streets to find him.
She gave him back the ring and got her gloves back.

Another time, when l was about 12, l wanted a yellow chick. A friend gave me some rags and l got the chick. I hid him in a box in the airing cupboard but my brother twitted on me as he couldn’t sleep with the chirping!
My mother was mad with me but let me keep it. I called him Sparky and kept him in the shed.
One day, Sparky flew into our neighbour’s garden and their Alsatian killed him. The neighbour gave me 5/- as he was so sorry.
Memory not that good, do remember in Ramsgate High Street they had a garage space, like an Aladdin' s cave, we used to spend hours in there, sorting through odds and ends, jewellery, clothing to dress up in.

Loads of Pre-war clothing, from houseclearances.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-tot1.htm
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 02:57 PM

In the street I live in some curtain switcher would be ringing up the council to complain two minutes later .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:06 PM

You got to watch leaving Free Stuff at the top of your driveway, the neighbours might pile all their tat on, best to leave it up the road like Arty.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Scrap metal merchants or maybe gypsies.
They are a common sight in the real world

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top