Join for free
Page 9 of 24 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The anti-smoking fanatics get to feel morally superior to the rest of us. That is their "reward" for being busy-bodies.
Of course we are superior.
We are not so dumb as to stick cancer sticks in our mouths and puff poison down our lungs .
Despite evidence of years that smoking is serious bad for your health and can kill you .
Despite the fact that it costs an arm and a leg at he same time.
They must all be as thick as bricks .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:07 PM

We all run out of Puff, at some point.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:12 PM

Geez ... and the social history books say the witch hunts and village stocks days are over.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Of course we are superior.
We are not so dumb as to stick cancer sticks in our mouths and puff poison down our lungs .
Despite evidence of years that smoking is serious bad for your health and can kill you .
Despite the fact that it costs an arm and a leg at he same time.
They must all be as thick as bricks .
That's so rude muddy. Not need for that that
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
How can some people stop smoking immediately when others cannot?

Willpower is one answer, but surely those who do smoke are not stupid enough to ignore the well documented health risks of their habit?
Do they really want to die early leaving behind their loved ones, or their children without a parent? Is it really worth it to continue smoking in such a selfish way as that?

Smokers - ask yourself...do you really have any thoughts about this, or do you not give a damn?
My neighbour died about 10 years ago from lung cancer and he was a really heavy smoker. He was only 56. It was very sad as he left a wife and two teenagers. He went downhill very fast once diagnosed and had to have oxygen piped through the house. It was a hot summer when he died and it was awful hearing him coughing up his guts when the windows were wide open.

The saddest thing I ever saw was his teenage son coming home from school swinging his school bag and going into the house and seconds later running out crying. I was out the front weeding and asked him what was wrong and after he calmed down a bit he was able to tell me that a stairlift had been fitted while he was at school and it was a shock to realise that his Dad even needed one.

I cant understand why anybody would even buy cigarettes with the vile pictures on cigarette packets of mouth cancers, ulcerated legs, rotten teeth and blocked arteries. i gave up 14 years ago and am so glad I did.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:29 PM

No. And I'm not a smoker.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
My neighbour died about 10 years ago from lung cancer and he was a really heavy smoker. He was only 56. It was very sad as he left a wife and two teenagers. He went downhill very fast once diagnosed and had to have oxygen piped through the house. It was a hot summer when he died and it was awful hearing him coughing up his guts when the windows were wide open.

The saddest thing I ever saw was his teenage son coming home from school swinging his school bag and going into the house and seconds later running out crying. I was out the front weeding and asked him what was wrong and after he calmed down a bit he was able to tell me that a stairlift had been fitted while he was at school and it was a shock to realise that his Dad even needed one.

I cant understand why anybody would even buy cigarettes with the vile pictures on cigarette packets of mouth cancers, ulcerated legs, rotten teeth and blocked arteries. i gave up 14 years ago and am so glad I did.
I guess the question you have to ask yourself is why people start smoking in the first place?
Having started it's almost impossible for some to stop.

A great many manage to do so for fear of future health concerns and for them that is fantastic ... but without sounding morbid or fatalistic I'm of the view that having smoked, it will catch up with the smoker one day regardless. I fully expect to die from a smoking related disease.

Smoking is my vice, my personal poison.
Rather oddly, I have never especially like alcoholic. It makes me feel ill and I dislike the lack of self-control it results in when I once (or twice) got drunk.
Try and figure that one out. You'd think I'd have avoided cigarettes too wouldn't you.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

12-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Regarding intelligence and smokers.

Einstein was a smoker ... and when under pressure to quit even resorted to picking up butts off the streets to have a crafty puff.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ff-street.html
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

12-06-2018, 11:05 PM

I think it very unwise to scoop whole rafts of people who smoke into the bracket of 'thick as a brick'.

Generalisations are too biased.

For example ...
Smoking is making a comeback in Israel
Smoking is one of the leading causes of death in Israel.
(All of them thick as bricks? Dumb? Really?)

https://www.jta.org/2017/06/07/defau...back-in-israel
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 11:51 PM

IMO it is less about intelligence and more about the level of addiction. I have smoked 2 packs per day for the last 52 years. I have tried everything in an attempt to quit but the withdrawal symptoms are just too great.

Will smoking eventually kill me ? Yes, almost certainly. Do I care ? No not really. All of us are going to die no matter how "healthy" we live. At age 72, I have already outlived many who have never smoked a single cigarette.

As far as banning smoking is concerned, I don't care what laws are passed. I will smoke outdoors, indoors, or anywhere else. The only way to stop me is to arrest me.

Page 9 of 24 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top