Join for free
Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 03:23 PM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Dear Beanland
We are having the same problem....water...plenty of...and often might do the trick...and talk to them, be kind and encouraging
Regards

Concerned W Mids

ps. the courgettes have gone mad...

Good heavens Rehab I think your courgettes have got above their station and they think they are marrows
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
In this weather its water, water and yet more water for them although we always found best thing before planting runner beans was to dig in plenty of our homemade compost helped.
I normally water them once at night and sometimes during the day but it sounds as though I should be doing more of it.

Strangely in the paper a couple of weeks ago, it said it's best to water them less??? Luckily I took no notice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The wife planted some runner beans several weeks ago.

Every time we look now, the plants are full of them and they are actually very good: big and tender.

We have so many now that there are far too many for us to eat, so the wife has put many in the freezer and is giving away handfuls to all our friends.

I've tried to explain to her the futility of her actions, and that we should be selling them.
Quite right JBR. You could do a deal with the Aussies.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-07-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD as the others say beans like water both around the roots and 'mist' the flowers with a spray to stop them dropping off before setting.
Hi Meg

Yes I have been misting them. I'm wondering if I should trim some of the top ones back a bit?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-07-2018, 03:27 PM

Good heavens Rehab I think your courgettes have got above their station and they think they are marrows
Oh yes, I was actually thinking of marrows - They are big.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Meg

Yes I have been misting them. I'm wondering if I should trim some of the top ones back a bit?
LD I usually take the tendrils off at the top to stop the plants going on growing also because I have short legs and already need a stool to pick beans
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-07-2018, 03:31 PM

LD I usually take the tendrils off at the top to stop the plants going on growing also because I have short legs and already need a stool to pick beans
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 02:54 AM

Just eaten some of the first batch. They were fantastic, so tasty compared to shop bought.

Bean update!

It looks a though I might be getting some beans this year.

Your runner beans look delicious. I did not grow any this year but really do like them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 09:39 AM

I don't grow runner beans any more not a lover of them they tend to come all at the same time

Some on my allotment do but these have been a disaster, most started dying in the hot weather the rest that survived produced almost nothing.

Funny thing was the French beans were good this year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I don't grow runner beans any more not a lover of them they tend to come all at the same time

Some on my allotment do but these have been a disaster, most started dying in the hot weather the rest that survived produced almost nothing.

Funny thing was the French beans were good this year.
My beans are starting to get tougher now so getting more difficult to chew. I still have loads though so will not grow so many next year.

Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top