Join for free
Page 11 of 24 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:17 AM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Of course it can hurt others, passive smoking can be very harmful, especially for a person already has lung problems. I am more than happy to have a witch hunt where flipping smokers are concerned.
I absoutely agree
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:17 AM

I once worked in a Federal corrections half-way house. While working there an inmate told me that , for him, quitting heroin was much easier than quitting cigarettes. Serious addiction indeed.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Tut tut Floydy ... does the drinker worry about his liver or becoming an alcoholic? Does an obese person hesitate over chomping that next slab of food?
Does everyone else have such a perfect self-help-health regime that they will live to be a 100?

This is what I can't understand ... why smokers are somehow seen as selfish or stupid.... or a group of people with some diabolically horrendous vice or social disgrace. Why is everyone so quick to judge them?

Yes I smoke ... ..I also fart in public places if I have to, so are obnoxious from both ends.
Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The typical smoker's response. They don't have any consideration for thenselves or anyone else.
Oh come off it .... no consideration? How do you work that one out?
You mean farting in public places? Lighten up, that was a joke (though I do, discreetly).

As to the rest, I raised the question as to why smoker's seem to draw such condemnation and criticism and judging by some of the posts on here I'd go as far as to say ..hatred.
It hasn't been answered ... bar there just seems to be an unreasonable illogical dislike. Must give some people a bogeyman to gripe about for the gaps in between terrorist attacks and paedophile abuse.

I smoke. I don't smoke near other people, bar Mr M who doesn't mind.
I did ask him, tell him I'd smoke outside our house but he said it's my home too and since he drives a car he's not really in a position to moan at others about health or polluting the planet for other people.

If people hate smokers and see them as inconsiderate or obnoxious or 'stinky' or dumb or thick I just say ..... if they drive a car, or fly on planes to get to their holidays ... they are hypocrites.
Go on nice holidays do you?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Good post Silver Tabby, yes there are many addictions that have a far greater impact on society than cigarette smoking, so how come some people have made it the crime of the century. We all agree that smoking is bad for your health, and passive smoking has also been found to be dangerous, but the odd whiff of tobacco smoke is not going to sign the unwary non-smokers death warrant.

There are many people who have died or who have lung cancer and never smoked in their lives, or even been linked to smoky environments. My Mum worked on the busses as a conductor for over forty years transporting (among others) miners to work who could not smoke below ground so they made up for it on their travel to work, there was no escape for my Mum, but she died at the age of 86 from a non-smoking related illness. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Yes, I smoked fifteen a day for thirty five years and in 2004 had a heart Attack. My Dad also had a Heart Attack in his fifties and it was suggested that hereditary links could have been the cause as much as the smoking could have. Who knows.......So I stopped smoking on that day in May 2004, and never had so much as a drag of a cigarette since, but I love the smell of some tobaccos, and I doubt that it will do me any harm at all, it certainly doesn't make me want to start smoking again.....

There seems to be a short supply of tolerance among some of the hand wringing, holier than thou brigade who want to organise everyone's lives. They should take a look at their own lives when their dogs run wild, threatening runners, walkers and children, and leaving their animals deposits on sports fields and lanes for the unsuspecting to walk over carpets upon their return home. They should think about their horses chopping up bridal paths and making them an assault course for the disabled and elderly. They should consider that not everyone wants to hear loud music booming out across the neighbourhood on a still summers evening......

There are many things that will put an end to our meagre existence and stress, worrying about other peoples bad habits is just one of a very long list that is probably far worse than the odd lungfull of second hand smoke....But I'm not going to ruin my day by being angry, bitter and twisted, I'll leave that to the holier than thou brigade to ruin theirs.....I wish I'd not been enticed to post now.....I hate been angry, a smoke used to calm me down.....Where's me Prozac...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:21 AM

Mortica, it may be,because it is self inflicted, you are putting the fag into your mouth,knowing it's consequences, I'm not having a go,i am trying to understand, i am an ex smoker, (probably the worst),i woke up,it's not easy,my aunty died of lung cancer,through smoking, you say Mr M,doesn't mind you smoking in the house,you are endangering his life,and you must know that,so why smoke in front of him?

I used to care for a lady,who was a very heavy smoker,i said i will care for her,as long as she doesn't smoke,while i am there,..baring in mind the walls were orange ,tar would that be stuck to them?..the place stank,i refused to work in that environment, making me cough,eyes watering, they ended up,sending in a smoker,so they could wallow in their smoke together.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:25 AM

I give up ....
Some much rancid antipathy against smokers by holier than thou people who probably drive cars, fly in planes .... use chemicals around the home .. all doing their bit to foul the planet.

When essentially smoking around other people has been curbed by legislation so the risk to others is now minimal compared to other pollutants.
And yet ... the smoker and increasingly the vaper still draw such antipathy.
Why? the bans were brought in back in 2007 and yet still they are the social leper.
Poor Einstein, Ghandi, Golda Meir ( 90 a day), Abraham Lincoln, Obama, Edison, Churchill ... and others such as he .. without them where would be?
Smoke free ...

Bah.. can't be doing with such daft pointless hostility.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

13-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Mortica, it may be,because it is self inflicted, you are putting the fag into your mouth,knowing it's consequences, I'm not having a go,i am trying to understand, i am an ex smoker, (probably the worst),i woke up,it's not easy,my aunty died of lung cancer,through smoking, you say Mr M,doesn't mind you smoking in the house,you are endangering his life,and you must know that,so why smoke in front of him?
Does a motorist stopping driving a car if they are conscious and aware that they are adding to pollution? When they drive past a school or a young mother pushing her pram do they feel guilty?

Same logic.
I asked him .. he said he did not mind, for the reason I have stated. If we have visitors I ask if they mind if I smoke and act accordingly, even though it is my home. But as they are my guest I ask them.
If we all stringently curbed our behaviour because of others health we'd all find out freedom of choice and movement curtailed.

Smoker's have already been curtailed with the ban in public places. Most smokers understand the health risks and agree with it because of the affect on others who choose not to smoke so should not suffer .... granted some don't but I suspect their truculence is a direct reaction to been vilified as public enemy number one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Really the excuses put forward for deliberately inflicting harm on others for passive smoking .
Passive smoking has no benefit to humanity whatsoever .
Whereas cars etc are a necessary evil they do at least take us from A to B .
Smoking has no benefits unless you have shares in Imperial Tobbaco .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Really the excuses put forward for deliberately inflicting harm on others for passive smoking .
Passive smoking has no benefit to humanity whatsoever .
Whereas cars etc are a necessary evil they do at least take us from A to B .
Smoking has no benefits unless you have shares in Imperial Tobbaco .

Agreed
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Hi

Some of the most vitriolic anti smokers locally drive the kids to school less than a mile and leave their huge 4x4s running whilst they have a chat with their friends.

That causes far more pollution that a fag outside.

Page 11 of 24 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top