Join for free
Page 23 of 24 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 >
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

[QUOTE=Muddy;1441330]It's not not that rare LQ a friends wife died she had never smoked he was a chain smoker .
Lung cancer in the US has overtaken breast cancer as the leading cause of cancer in women.
There are about 7000 deaths from lung cancer pa due to secondhand smoke .
Not all lung cancers are caused by smoking but it certainly is known to to be the major one .[/QUOTE]

And thats a fact!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:27 PM

Here's another one .... or two, for those aiming to keep a sense of perspective.

More than 9m people are killed annually by pollution, equivalent to one in six of all deaths across the world, according to a new study.
https://www.ft.com/content/1dd234a8-...8-73d59db9e399

Most pollution victims around the world died as a result of non-communicable conditions such as heart disease, stroke, lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), said researchers.

Pollution is killing 50,000 people a year in the UK,
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a8009751.html
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Here's another one .... or two, for those aiming to keep a sense of perspective.

More than 9m people are killed annually by pollution, equivalent to one in six of all deaths across the world, according to a new study.
https://www.ft.com/content/1dd234a8-...8-73d59db9e399

Most pollution victims around the world died as a result of non-communicable conditions such as heart disease, stroke, lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), said researchers.

Pollution is killing 50,000 people a year in the UK,
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a8009751.html
Excellent post!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:36 PM

I didn't expect this thread to go on so long; most of mine die quietly.

As in the OP, I'm just against having to walk through lots of smoke when people are congregated outside public places standing still whilst smoking; there's no way of avoiding it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Hold your breath - and run for it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:39 PM

You are absoutely correct its unpleasant like running a gauntlet .
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:42 PM

I would, but I can't run anywhere at the moment; I can barely walk.

But I'm enjoying watching the football on my TV whilst I'm on the mend. I didn't think getting a TV would be such a positive thing for me.

Incidentally, where can I buy those reed diffusers mentioned by someone earlier in the thread? I like incense sticks but sometimes find that they are setting off my smoke alarm.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Based on my own experience, congenital disorders and industrial inhalation conditions aside I believe it's ex smokers who are most at risk from passive smoking.

I feel vulnerable if someone traps me in a situation where I have to inhale cigarette smoke (such as the restaurant). I'd feel the same if I have to walk through a cloud of exhaust fumes etc. for the amount of time someone is smoking. But nobody would think of running an exhaust into the seated diners of a restaurant. However, the chemicals are pretty similar. One reason I was able to give up was because I used a visualisation exercise that every time I inhaled I was sucking on an exhaust pipe. It worked! So I don't care about cars driving in the road where I can't smell their exhaust fumes, but I do care if they were to pump that smoke into my house or in my face when I am walking down the street.

It's really such a non issue now though because in the UK it's a novelty to smell tobacco smoke. When I first went to work they still allowed smoking in offices and I remember this guy leaving one cigarette after another to burn while he worked. By the end of the day I'd feel like I'd smoked a pack. But in those days it didn't affect my chest the way it would now. There must be millions of ex smokers like me who welcome the ban.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:48 PM

By the way I totally understand how smokers feel. I loved smoking and I still remember that yummy feeling of lighting up and taking the first puff.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

15-06-2018, 09:52 PM

I can remember being a child (and this was in the 70s) and going to see my doctor. And there he was, fag in hand, smoking away.

Page 23 of 24 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top