Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Do you know your strawberries?

It seems I don't!

I always buy UK grown strawberries...and only during summer months but I'm so often disappointed by the hard, tasteless flesh

I nearly bought Scottish Murano (I thought that was decorative Italian glass) strawberries in Asda yesterday. They looked delicious but I don't trust my own judgement anymore.

Help
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Re: Do you know your strawberries?

I feel the same as you Rhian. I havce had very few really tasty strawberries this year and most of those I have bought have either got hard white centres, or gone squashy before the use by date even! Most annoying as I love fresh strawberries.

I have a several plants in small tubs at home, and the ones who survived my thieving dog, were lovely, just nowhere near enough of them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Rhian I posted about this in reply to Mups in another thread the other day...

many strawberries sold in the shops these days have a hard centre core, that is down to the variety which is developed to be 'firm' in order to travel well and give a longer shelf life.
I rarely buy strawberries these days, I find them a disappointment. I pick some from the fruit farm and grow
a few perpetual strawberries in tubs.

Another local PYO fruit farm now gone used to grow about a dozen varieties, it was lovely being able to taste so many varieties.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I feel the same as you Rhian. I havce had very few really tasty strawberries this year and most of those I have bought have either got hard white centres, or gone squashy before the use by date even! Most annoying as I love fresh strawberries.

I have a several plants in small tubs at home, and the ones who survived my thieving dog, were lovely, just nowhere near enough of them.
Ooh i bet you savoured those few you had though Mups!
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:32 AM

we have had loads of strawberries this year and most of them have been local. We are fortunate to have several strawberry farms around here.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:34 AM

I find that unless you buy British Strawberries, the rest of the Countries are always hard and tasteless, I bought two Pallets in Morrison's the other day for £3.00 and they were British and they were nice.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Ive had loads of delicious UK grown strawberries this year ..there are several farms in the area who grow some cracking ones ,really full of that proper strawberry flavour which they should have.
Those hideous El Santa ones are only fit for the bin imo...I dont buy my strawberries from the supermarket either prefer to buy direct from the farms
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:30 PM

By way of information - Gordons (the Gin people) now make a 'pink' Gin - (No, not Angastora Bitters), but flavoured with Strawberries !!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:35 PM

The strawberries have been great this year. We have been buying Scottish Strawberries in Sainsbury's and they are lovely. Also, the cherries have been the best I can remember since I was a street urchin.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I find that unless you buy British Strawberries, the rest of the Countries are always hard and tasteless, I bought two Pallets in Morrison's the other day for £3.00 and they were British and they were nice.
I hope you mean punnets Susie - two pallets worth would give you an awful tummy ache!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top