Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:57 PM

Re: Do you know your strawberries?

I decided to have another go at growing Strawberries this year, after failures in the past. I wish l hadn’t as l’ve hardly had any strawberries, just runners!

I bought ‘Sonata’ plants from a garden centre and they were rubbish. I bought ‘Cambridge’ plants from Wilko, l got a few massive sized ones off them but even whilst covered, the birds beat me to it!

I bought six plugs of plants with no name from Morrison’s and they have now grown into large plants with quite a few strawberries coming on them.

I think after all the money l spent on plants l might have been better to just buy punnets. Tasteless or not!
Dave H
United Kingdom
Dave H is male  Dave H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
It seems I don't!

I always buy UK grown strawberries...and only during summer months but I'm so often disappointed by the hard, tasteless flesh

I nearly bought Scottish Murano (I thought that was decorative Italian glass) strawberries in Asda yesterday. They looked delicious but I don't trust my own judgement anymore.

Help

All the strawberrys we grow are under polytunnels. In growbags. Each plant as it own feeding tube which we feed nutrients through.
Strawberry growing is all about tonnage not taste. Therefore
the strawberrys do not taste as good as they once did.
Dave H
United Kingdom
Dave H is male  Dave H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Like this
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H ->

Like this
Clever
Dave H
United Kingdom

14-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Clever
Thank you Rhian . Us old farm boys are a bit dim you know
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Good varieties are hard to find these days in supermarkets.

I always look for the grower and the variety before buying.

The ELSANTA is the rather hated and most commonly available strawberry. It's pretty tasteless yet accounts for probably 80+ of all commercially sold strawberries. I never buy this variety any more. I consider it the McDonalds of strawberries.

In fact I have bought very few strawberries these past couple of years, they have all been so utter disappointing. The Scottish ones have been the tastiest I have found. Sonata's.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 02:01 PM

I grow a strawberry which is a cross between the wild woodland strawberry and a cultivated variety so it has a lovely intense flavour.

'MARA DES BOIS'*

https://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php?...product_id=706

It is 'perpetual' so goes on fruiting until the first hard frost.

I replaced my plants this year and they dried out while I was away on holiday and the fruits went rotten but having been cut back they are growing well again and covered in flowers

I also planted some tubs of Cambridge Favourite an old variety but they died off completely in the heat while I was away .
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I grow a strawberry which is a cross between the wild woodland strawberry and a cultivated variety so it has a lovely intense flavour.

'MARA DES BOIS'*

https://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php?...product_id=706

It is 'perpetual' so goes on fruiting until the first hard frost.

I replaced my plants this year and they dried out while I was away on holiday and the fruits went rotten but having been cut back they are growing well again and covered in flowers

I also planted some tubs of Cambridge Favourite an old variety but they died off completely in the heat while I was away .
Wowsers Meg

None of the strawberries in Asda look like that!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Our weather is so unpredictable ive given up on soft fruits, but walking the lanes in June and July I can often pick wild strawberries

what they lack in size they make up in flavour

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top