Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Dreadful Day

The worst type of day - high winds gusting up to 90kph and temperatures in the mid 20°s

Residents near Ulladulla on the south coast went from "Advice" through "Watch and Act" to "Take shelter - Too late to leave" in a matter of hours. So far no lives have been lost

Locally there are a few serious fires but nothing threatening my immediate area.

It is still August and the Bush Fire season isn't supposed to start until October though because of the drought it was brought forward to September but this month is supposed to be for fuel reduction burns which are just not happening.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...15-p4zxk1.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:50 AM

Re: Dreadful Day

Been some photos in the press over here that show how bad it is, the upright skeletal remains of a Roo in the Mail yesterday brought home how bad the drought is.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Am I right in thinking it is worse than ever this year Bruce?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 11:48 AM

I have been following this. I cannot begin to imagine how it must be to live there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Am I right in thinking it is worse than ever this year Bruce?
At this moment all fires are back to advice level but the thoughts are that this is going to be the worse fire season for decades. It is not often you get severe fires in winter, three houses have been lost near Bega and one house damaged near Nowra - but isn't that why you have insurance?

The outlook is not promising either.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

17-08-2018, 10:04 AM

A water bombing helicopter pilot was killed this afternoon fighting the Milton fire
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
A water bombing helicopter pilot was killed this afternoon fighting the Milton fire

Tragic!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 12:50 PM

Oh gosh it's horrible! I can't imagine being in that terrible situation, I hope it's extinguished soon.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 01:08 PM

It all sounds horrendous Bruce, I must admit I'd be terrified. I don't know which is worse - everything wiped away and loss of life through fires or floods.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's really sad.

I struggle understanding water bombing and it's effectiveness on putting out fires. They must surely have to drop an awful lot of water bombs to have any effect. In my minds eye I can see fire hoses continually trained on fires to put them out and that seems hard enough.

With our moor fires recently, I watched the helicopters water bombing on TV and TBH it didn't seem anywhere enough water to help.

Does any know if it's just for 'damping down' a fire rather than putting it out?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

18-08-2018, 12:38 AM

I am not a volunteer fire fighter but water bombing has advantages an important one being that you can dowse fires in places where you cannot get a fire truck and its crew either because of terrain or danger. It also delivers a massive amount of water.

Water bombing is very effective but for obvious reasons there is a limit to where you can use it in populated areas.

Apparently the bucket on the crashed helicopter got tangled in a tree.

BTW this week Wollongong is 'celebrating' the 20th anniversary of the 1998 floods when something like three times the monthly rainfall fell in 12 hours. Ironic eh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top