Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Re: Massive seagulls

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
So why do it to dogs, cats and birds, if you object to people being cruel to other animals? Isn't that being a bit two faced?

I despise people who are cruel to animals, to satisfy their own pleasure, but I don't mind if people kill to eat... because that is what we do to survive.

I am glad I never lived in the same vicinity as somebody who would give laxatives to animals. Don't forget that a dose, suitable for a human, could seriously harm an animal that is smaller than a human & could even kill them! So you were obviously no better than the other people your criticize
There is absolutely no evidence that giving a laxative to a bird or a dog causes it pain or harm and I did remark that cat-topiary or coloring is not my bag.

In any case pimping a moggy is waay different from bonsai-ing the beasts. See https://www.ding.net/bonsaikitten/gray.html but check it out fully!

Or is anywhere near as bad as - well I'll leave it at that because I really don't want to cause what I perceive to be genuine pain resulting from learning about such things.

On the other hand ---

There is overwhelming proof that the killing of foxes and an organised sport causes the roses extreme stress while being chased by dogs specially bred and trained to chase and kill them not to mention the agony that a fox goes through as it is being brutally killed.

Then shooting parties. Killing birds that have been deliberately bred and maintained just to be shot. Then only very seldom eaten by the bird killers but instead mostly sold to game dealers.

As for being no better etc?

Ask me if I care!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is absolutely no evidence that giving a laxative to a bird or a dog causes it pain or harm and I did remark that cat-topiary or coloring is not my bag.

In any case pimping a moggy is waay different from bonsai-ing the beasts. See https://www.ding.net/bonsaikitten/gray.html but check it out fully!

Or is anywhere near as bad as - well I'll leave it at that because I really don't want to cause what I perceive to be genuine pain resulting from learning about such things.

On the other hand ---

There is overwhelming proof that the killing of foxes and an organised sport causes the roses extreme stress while being chased by dogs specially bred and trained to chase and kill them not to mention the agony that a fox goes through as it is being brutally killed.

Then shooting parties. Killing birds that have been deliberately bred and maintained just to be shot. Then only very seldom eaten by the bird killers but instead mostly sold to game dealers.

As for being no better etc?

Ask me if I care!
I have no idea what you were rambling on about there, but I will say that I am strongly against fox hunting & if you had been a member here for longer you would have read about the ones I care for, that come to my farmhouse garden most nights.

As for the game birds, of course they will sell any they are unlikely to eat, but those birds will just mean that one less chicken or joint of meat will be eaten. I have never shot one but I will eat one that somebody else shot, a bit like I don't kill cattle but still eat beef that were killed at the abattior! Do you really think that calves are not deliberately bred & maintained, just to be sent to the abattoir & sold for meat?

I assume that, as you are so against killing to eat, you must be vegetarian. If you are I would applaud you for trying to save lives, but point out that those creatures would never have been born if there was no market for them!

There will be no evidence of dogs suffering after being given laxatives, because if they were given to them & the owners didn't know, the vets would be unlikely to test for laxatives, to find the cause of suffering or death. Animal laxatives are tested and that is how they know what a suitable dose would be, that way they don't suffer if they heed to take them!
As for the seagulls, who do you think would test them for cause of death & they certainly don't attend the Gulls NHS clinic, but overdoses of laxatives can cause dehydration, weakness, fainting, and kidney damage in humans, so I expect that a dose for a human would be an overdose for a seagull or even a small dog!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 02:03 PM

And your point is?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=The Artful Todger;1690699]There is absolutely no evidence that giving a laxative to a bird or a dog causes it pain or harm and I did remark that cat-topiary or coloring is not my bag.

It depends what was in the laxative,if it was a made up concoction,by teenagers,then I disagree ,because you nor I,have any idea what is in it,..it could cause,pain and death,..a very cruel thing to do.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Check out the pictures. There is a bottle of Milk of Magnesia shown. In the States it's very inexpensive and widely available.

BTW - much less expensive over here is magnesium hydroxide. Exactly the same though no peppermint flavouring but very much cheaper.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Check out the pictures. There is a bottle of Milk of Magnesia shown. In the States it's very inexpensive and widely available.

BTW - much less expensive over here is magnesium hydroxide. Exactly the same though no peppermint flavouring but very much cheaper.

To be honest,most of us have done silly things,in our lives,I know I have,as a teenager,so did my son,but if I spoke out of it on here,I would have to run for the hills!...maybe some are perfect,..I know I certainly was not!...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 02:57 PM

And your point is?
My point is that laxatives can harm animals!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
My point is that laxatives can harm animals!
Laxatives can harm anybody or anything that takes them but the probability of harm being caused to scavenging creatures such as most gulls is remote in the extreme because unless a thing is toxic it will either be regurgitated or pass quick time through their kishkes.

Similarly in the case of dogs though the potential for dogs to become dehydrated is much higher if a dog doesn't honk up what it's eaten.

On the subject of dogs spewing I wonder if the things find ipecac syrup as attractive as Senokots!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
To be honest,most of us have done silly things,in our lives,I know I have,as a teenager,so did my son,but if I spoke out of it on here,I would have to run for the hills!...maybe some are perfect,..I know I certainly was not!...
LOL!

Me too!

Like cutting the profile of a knife out of kitchen foil and slipping it amongst documents in an envelope that a colleague was carrying on the Belfast Shuttle back in the day!

Or the spew and spoon jape, again when traveling with work colleagues and again on the Belfast Shuttle!

My life, and so very much more.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

21-04-2019, 03:21 PM

LOL!

Me too!

Like cutting the profile of a knife out of kitchen foil and slipping it amongst documents in an envelope that a colleague was carrying on the Belfast Shuttle back in the day!

Or the spew and spoon jape, again when traveling with work colleagues and again on the Belfast Shuttle!

My life, and so very much more.

..I so want to tell you what I did,but I dare not!..
..all part of growing up for many of us!.

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top