Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Re: Foraging

Of course-I meant billberies-those little things hiding away?
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Of course-I meant billberies-those little things hiding away?
Yes, they are little sods for hiding away!! Sheep don't have a problem finding them though!!

June x
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Sheep? it`s all lies I tell you.
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2010, 05:23 AM

Just realised after seeing Mags picture that what we in Norway call blueberries actually is the same as your wimberries, winberries or billberries. After looking it up in my dictionary I also found the names whortleberry and blaeberry (the latter maybe of viking origin (hehe) as it is quite similar to the norwegian word "blåbær", wich is the word for these berries in my language - blå=blue, bær=berry).

I love foraging for berries and mushrooms as this is not things you can buy in the supermarket - or if - only at quite a high price.

Would love to hear if you have heard of the things I forage (that is - have I got the right names in english?):

Wild raspberries and strawberries (quite sure of those names).
Cloudberries - ("molte" in norwegian) - yellow/orange-coloured berries growing in moorland. Not sure if you have them in UK - maybe in Scotland?
Red whortleberries - ("tyttebær" in norwegian) - red berries growing on short, rather glossy green (shrubs??)
Chantarelles - yellow mushrooms wich goes very well with venison
Hedgehog mushrooms (hydnum repandum) - ("piggsopp" in norwegian - pigg indicating the teethlike spores and sopp=mushroom) - very tasty mushroom that goes well with a lot of dishes.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Hi anna,

That is a very interesting selection of wild food!
I have only picked apples, plums, pears, raspberry's wimberrys, hazelnuts and I found some alpine strawberry's the other day, so they are fruiting in a hanging basket alongside my larger garden centre bought ones lol

I have never picked mushrooms wouldn't know what was safe, although I remember being fascinated by them when a child (particularly the poisonous ones) as I was always trying to catch out a fairy under them!!

June x
june1958
Lancashire

18-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Sheep? it`s all lies I tell you.
I can see you're going to be trouble!!!!

June x
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by anna ->
Just realised after seeing Mags picture that what we in Norway call blueberries actually is the same as your wimberries, winberries or billberries. After looking it up in my dictionary I also found the names whortleberry and blaeberry (the latter maybe of viking origin (hehe) as it is quite similar to the norwegian word "blåbær", wich is the word for these berries in my language - blå=blue, bær=berry).

I love foraging for berries and mushrooms as this is not things you can buy in the supermarket - or if - only at quite a high price.

Would love to hear if you have heard of the things I forage (that is - have I got the right names in english?):

Wild raspberries and strawberries (quite sure of those names).
Cloudberries - ("molte" in norwegian) - yellow/orange-coloured berries growing in moorland. Not sure if you have them in UK - maybe in Scotland?
Red whortleberries - ("tyttebær" in norwegian) - red berries growing on short, rather glossy green (shrubs??)
Chantarelles - yellow mushrooms wich goes very well with venison
Hedgehog mushrooms (hydnum repandum) - ("piggsopp" in norwegian - pigg indicating the teethlike spores and sopp=mushroom) - very tasty mushroom that goes well with a lot of dishes.
Chantarelles I have definitely heard of. And I am sure I have heard of cloudberries but will google to make sure. I am sure there are a lot of berries that we could eat but don't. I agree with June - mushrooms would scare me a bit because I wouldn't know if they were safe.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2010, 08:49 PM

I've always been fascinated by wild mushrooms, but would never dare pick. Some of the deadly ones like the amanita look too similar to edible ones.
june1958
Lancashire

27-07-2010, 03:45 PM

PP did you manage to find any wimberry? I looked last week and its alrweady out here but to wet to pick I am going to try again this week end hoping it will be a bit drier.

June x
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

27-07-2010, 04:41 PM

I can see you're going to be trouble!!!!

Me?? trouble??? Baaah

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top