Join for free
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:40 PM

Surplus Clothes

When the Shops are finally open there will be thousands of full plastic bags of unwanted clothes to be given away. including mine!
The Charity Shops will be full to the brim.
Some of these shops in the better areas charge £5.00 for a T Shirt. I understand they sell surplus stock for £1.00 per bag to Traders who sort them out and export them to to other Countries making a very good profit.

Perehaps we should all stop buying things on a whim that we do not really need or want.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:46 PM

Re: Surplus Clothes

Noooo! Please don't! I get some lovely clothes from charity shops!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:50 PM

I chucked loads out last year, pre-chaos-corona-era ... and dammit I want to go out and buy some more now.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Noooo! Please don't! I get some lovely clothes from charity shops!
That is true TessA, you can buy designer fashions in Charity Shops and they sell there best stuff on Ebay.

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

22-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I chucked loads out last year, pre-chaos-corona-era ... and dammit I want to go out and buy some more now.
Yes, Mortica and they last a lot longer than Chocolate.

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:54 PM

Mmmm ....chocolate ... this is why I need some new clothes. Mine are too tight now.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
When the Shops are finally open there will be thousands of full plastic bags of unwanted clothes to be given away. including mine!
The Charity Shops will be full to the brim.
Some of these shops in the better areas charge £5.00 for a T Shirt. I understand they sell surplus stock for £1.00 per bag to Traders who sort them out and export them to to other Countries making a very good profit.

Perehaps we should all stop buying things on a whim that we do not really need or want.
Thankfully I don't do that Azure. Never have enough dosh

I watched a programme about our (ie from the UK) unwanted clothes being exported to other countries. Half of them were binned because they were dirty, smelly, torn, worn out clothes. I think we were described as 'disgusting'.
There were mountains of them. All chucked as useless.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

22-05-2020, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thankfully I don't do that Azure. Never have enough dosh

I watched a programme about our (ie from the UK) unwanted clothes being exported to other countries. Half of them were binned because they were dirty, smelly, torn, worn out clothes. I think we were described as 'disgusting'.
There were mountains of them. All chucked as useless.
They can be usd as land fill, Pesta

The Charity shops in my area only want good as new used clothes or they will refuse them.
Some Supermarkets have large bins that take old clothes and Shoes.

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
They can be usd as land fill, Pesta

The Charity shops in my area only want good as new used clothes or they will refuse them.
Some Supermarkets have large bins that take old clothes and Shoes.

Yes, charity shops only accept good as new clothes or they won't be able to sell them on.

Re land fill of clothes. It would take centuries for those mountains of clothes to rot down. We'll probably living on the moon by then

In the past I've taken clothes I no longer want to a couple of dress agencies near me. They sell them, take a cut when sold and I get the rest.
I've bought from them in the past too, but that was more for my daughter when she was a little sprog.
One of them is still going 30+ yrs later. Really popular with good quality stuff.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top