Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Not used for a couple of weeks = Flat Battery

I went out to move the car out of my way, so that I could sort the garage.

Guess what?

No starter, no lights, no anything.

Only an idiot would forget to keep his car charged during the Lock in!

It's been in there for, about, 3 weeks!

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 07:27 PM

Re: Not used for a couple of weeks = Flat Battery

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I went out to move the car out of my way, so that I could sort the garage.

Guess what?

No starter, no lights, no anything.

Only an idiot would forget to keep his car charged during the Lock in!

It's been in there for, about, 3 weeks!

If it was dead in three weeks, it was probably shagged anyway.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 07:31 PM

May just be the battery terminal connections if there are no lights whatsoever? First thing I'd do is disconnect them, clean them up and try it again...
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
If it was dead in three weeks, it was probably shagged anyway.
Not necessarily, some modern cars have a higher parasitic drain than the older ones, and can drain a battery in 2-3 weeks of no use.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Not necessarily, some modern cars have a higher parasitic drain than the older ones, and can drain a battery in 2-3 weeks of no use.
My car is fairly modern with all sorts of electronics. My wif and I had a six week stay in USA with the car parked close to the airport. I have to admit I had concerns about the battery. It was fine.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:24 PM

Had to fit a new battery to daughters car the other day after two weeks, it was ten years old. I recommend going out every day and giving them a short turnover.....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Had to fit a new battery to daughters car the other day after two weeks, it was ten years old. I recommend going out every day and giving them a short turnover.....
That's fine BUT you must let the car run at idle speed for 10+ minutes every time you do it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 11:10 PM

Does it charge the battery if you just leave it ticking over same as when you're defrosting icy windows? If so, how long does it need to run for?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 12:41 AM

It is funny how for years manufacturers would fit smaller and smaller batteries, My Mitsubishi Starwagon had a tiny battery but along came engine management computers and suddenly batteries got bigger and bigger. My son's Nissan Navara has two large starter batteries though my similar Isuzu Dmax gets away with one. (I don't know the Amp hrs but that is generally just a function of size.)

I do agree however that if it completely discharged in a couple of weeks it needs changing assuming, as someone else pointed out, it is not corroded terminals.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Does it charge the battery if you just leave it ticking over same as when you're defrosting icy windows? If so, how long does it need to run for?
Yes it does. I was told that it takes about 10 minutes to replace the energy used by starting but I would double that if the battery is a bit dodgy.

Having said that a good battery should have many starts in it without recharging.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top