Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:00 PM

New camera needed, any recommendations please?

I would really like a new camera which can take decent macro shots and also a good built in zoom.

It needs to be idiot proof and light weight.

I don't want to have to add lenses or any other paraphernalia.
However, if it can add special effects, edits etc. that would be a bonus.

I have a bit saved up to spend but not silly money.

I use a bridge camera, Fuji, Finepix S, at the moment but find it a bit bulky to carry about on walks.

Any ideas please chums?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:14 PM

Re: New camera needed, any recommendations please?

I like my Canon Powershot SX260 HS compact camera. It had good reviews at the time of purchase, which is why I bought it. A 'point and shoot' camera but with other settings on it too. There'll be an updated version now and I'd probably look into getting that if the SX260 packed in.

I'm sure there must be other cameras equally good and I'd do as much research as you can stand and then make your choice. If you are considering getting a compact camera, try DPReviews compact camera reviews.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews?category=compacts
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I would really like a new camera which can take decent macro shots and also a good built in zoom.

It needs to be idiot proof and light weight.

I don't want to have to add lenses or any other paraphernalia.
However, if it can add special effects, edits etc. that would be a bonus.

I have a bit saved up to spend but not silly money.

I use a bridge camera, Fuji, Finepix S, at the moment but find it a bit bulky to carry about on walks.

Any ideas please chums?
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60, it's an old model now & there are new versions, which are probably better. It has a 30x Optical zoom.

This one is the latest I think & I would get one if mine broke. It very similar.
https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a review of it...
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/p...--review-28827.

Very tempted to buy one myself actually.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:44 PM

Thanks Mart and Tiff, I'll look at those.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Have a look at the Nikon Coolpix range. I have a Nikon DSLR which I hardly ever use since I got a Nikon P520 Coolpix. The DSLR is bulky, heavy so I don't carry it often. The P520 has a 40 x zoom and also a movie mode.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:20 AM

TessA

Re your camera question. It is all to easy to recommend a camera just because one owns that particular make/model. Ask 10 people and you will more than likely get 10 different answers.

So how would I go about choosing a new camera?

the very first thing was to consider what price range I could afford. Most makes you will find a camera with more features but just above your price bracket so be firm and stick to what you want to pay

next consider type of camera and the make your interested in, but don't get fixed on just one make, consider others as well.

I would pick out 3 or 4 from a list I made and see what they have to offer in what they are capable of.

From your post I suspect you are considering a compact camera that has a built in lens. Just a tip, the more range it has the further the lens stretches out using more battery power and more to go wrong if it gets wet, it would need drying off before turning off and goes back into the camera body.

You may even consider one of the mirrorless cameras that are lighter than the normal DSLR cameras but still have the interchangable lens. You don't say but cost is involved.

So I presume you will be looking at the smaller compact type. So going on that, apart from reading writeups which might just be the preference of the author, you really should go to a decent camers store (when lockdown permits) and get hands on the demos of your choice. The camera layouts and menus vary a lot so get one you find easier to use.

Don't forget you may have to add in on the budget price, batteries - memory cards- protective cover, ie camera bag.

All I can do is point you to this which might help. on ther are lists of most makes and types to look at

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

just a quick note

If you go down the second hand route look for a camera with a low shutter count. The camera may look ok on the outside ,just like a car, but the inside might be worn out
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:23 AM

Nikon P900
https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/produc...0/coolpix-p900
A lot cheaper second hand. I know several people with this camera and the results are fab
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 07:04 AM

These were taken with a Panasonic DMC-TZ30

caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Supershots warleyron.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Nikon P900
https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/produc...0/coolpix-p900
A lot cheaper second hand. I know several people with this camera and the results are fab
I like the look of that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top