Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:24 AM

Re: London Centric?

I give London a wide berth these days, just can't stomach it anymore. Went to school in Fitzrovia, Chelsea and Stepney. A lot's changed since then.

We'll go for the very occasional trip to Borough Market although it has to be early, before the crowd's descend and it becomes a bit of a nightmare.

I am tempted to get us Port of London Authority permits to explore The Thames Foreshore. Its something we've done before, fascinating! It's almost a haven of peace down there. Just check and double check the tide tables beforehand!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
accountancy, advertising, banking/finance, and law
But also:

High diversity in language, culture, religion, and ideologies

All the things that are useless d00d....

We should be tops in steel production, engineering, farming, shipbuilding, coal mining and the rag trade.....We were once....But we gave it up for advertising, finance, the media, culture, religion and ideologies, it's a pity none of it was our own......... Even our banks are all owned by foreign entities.....
HaHa ... that list in full ...

A variety of international financial services, notably in finance, insurance, real estate, banking, accountancy, and marketing
Headquarters of several multinational corporations
The existence of financial headquarters, a stock exchange, and major financial institutions
Domination of the trade and economy of a large surrounding area
Major manufacturing centres with port and container facilities
Considerable decision-making power on a daily basis and at a global level
Centres of new ideas and innovation in business, economics, culture, and politics
Centres of media and communications for global networks
Dominance of the national region with great international significance
High percentage of residents employed in the services sector and information sector
High-quality educational institutions, including renowned universities, international student attendance, and research facilities
Multi-functional infrastructure offering some of the best legal, medical, and entertainment facilities in the country
High diversity in language, culture, religion, and ideologies

Welcome to the 20th 21st century Foxy
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. London thinks it is the most wonderful place in the world. I don't. From what I read, it's the pits and there's no way I'd ever want to live there.
It's not for the faint-hearted, old boy.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yeah?..I don't know, I didn't find it that heavy in any way. I've lived in Sydney most of my life apart from in Perth (WA) in my teenage years and I didn't find my 6 months in London any more intense than Sydney. I've lived in San Francisco and that was, on average, heavier than London despite it's traditional image.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
London is a city that many non Britons see as belonging to the world rather than just England.
You're not wrong there.

London is becoming increasingly less British and almost certainly belongs to certain other parts of the world!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yeah?..I don't know, I didn't find it that heavy in any way. I've lived in Sydney most of my life apart from in Perth (WA) in my teenage years and I didn't find my 6 months in London any more intense than Sydney. I've lived in San Francisco and that was, on average, heavier than London despite it's traditional image.
It's not intense in London. It's DIRTY, dangerous, overcrowded and absolutely not English or even British any more.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
London is imperfect but it certainly is unique and a global compass point. Maybe even North itself. Everyone seems to gravitate to it when they are lost. Time starts there.

In terms of capital competitors what would be in the running? Birmingham? York? Manchester? Can you imagine the Queen relocating to Centenary Square and having a tipple with the Weekend clubbers on Broad Street?
Well, as we've been discussing the presence of several quite small capital cities throughout the world, I'd say there could be a case for one of our smaller cities taking over as political capital.

I think Londonistan will remain as our financial capital, at least the 'square mile'. However, what with the Palace of Westminster falling apart and house prices rocketing, I'd say it would be advantageous for the government and civil service to move out. There is really no need for them all to be crammed together in Westminster.

And as for York, why not? It was once the capital not only of Roman Britain but of the entire Roman Empire! A much more pleasant and probably safer place than Londonistan.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-05-2020, 10:42 AM

I've visited in past years the places I wanted to see: St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, the Science Museum, etc., and having seen them I have no wish to return now especially as things are rather more dangerous and transport more slow and crowded!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:45 AM

HaHa ...

Welcome to the 20th 21st century Foxy
I know d00d, just ignore me.....I don't like where humanity is going...And I sometimes linger on 'My life the best bits' but it's time to hand it over to the next generation and all I can do is sit back and observe these days....I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I can only speak for my little corner of the world.

Just one observation though....You mention finance and banking d00d, and I believe it's these faceless people who decide where the world is going, forget governments, presidents, prime ministers and the monarchy....They are just puppets playing to the tune of the rich and powerful who can, in a stroke of their pen decide which country makes it and which country doesn't....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I know d00d, just ignore me.....I don't like where humanity is going...And I sometimes linger on 'My life the best bits' but it's time to hand it over to the next generation and all I can do is sit back and observe these days....I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I can only speak for my little corner of the world.

Just one observation though....You mention finance and banking d00d, and I believe it's these faceless people who decide where the world is going, forget governments, presidents, prime ministers and the monarchy....They are just puppets playing to the tune of the rich and powerful who can, in a stroke of their pen decide which country makes it and which country doesn't....

Britain is now totally dependent on the finance sector and it ain't gonna change anytime soon. If the finance sector weakens then the internal economy will tank. THAT is why there was so much resistance to BREXIT from the 1922 Committee and it's hangers on.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top