Join for free
Page 1585 of 1585 « First < 585 1085 1485 1535 1575 1583 1584 1585
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You do not mention the "Sensitive" types who exited the Cinema, the ones who did not run with the pack, no counselling back then.
LOL ..if you were 'Sensitive' you would never dare risk life and limb at the Saturday Flea pit unless you had enough coppers to buy everyone a ice lolly as protection

The flea pit films taught you early on where you were going to be in lifes pecking order...if you let it.

The handsome popular lads were always the heroes who rescued the local budding beauties tied to the nearest lamp post whilst those with lesser looks were either peppered with arrows..made to walk the plank... or blasted to smithereens with the obligatory space gun.

Those unlucky unpopular no lookers always...without fail..were either excluding totally or suffered a million ways to die that only the young can conjure up whilst at the same time knowing that nobody cared either way what happened to you.

This is where you could either learn.. stand your ground.. and show you were as good as anyone in life ...or accept where you had been shoved and live with it. Councelling came free of charge in those day...you just had to take heed

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 11:04 PM

True words there Solo, counselling was indeed free and you could be selective in who you took it from too, there was parental counselling, school teacher counselling, church counselling, and the one most of us preferred and trusted, counsel from your mates.
Choosing the latter was a mistake because they hadn’t a clue about important stuff either, they just made things up (especially where stuff about girls were concerned) to make an impression on the more sensitive kids like me, sort of a badge of authority to raise them up a peg in the ‘gang’, “Anything yeh want to know lads just ask Farreller, he’s been around and knows everything”
Farreller (aged 13 then) was credited with having went out with three different girls, wow! imagine all that he’d know, Dr. Ruth was only trotting after him on sexual matters.
Farreller had been to Hong Kong for two years when his dad was stationed there, and he was the one who told us all about the Chinese girls with the horizontal private parts, how strange is that we all thought, the thing is we all believed it for years after, then another fella joined the navy when he was old enough and when he came home on leave he said it was all codswallop.
Well what do you expect, and how could we prove the Farrell fella wrong, there were no Chinese people in Dublin then, not even a restaurant.

Quote Spitfire:
“ There is one potential candidate in that photo, the one with the closed mouth”

That child is deep in thought Spitty, taking everything on the screen in and storing it away for future use, one of the clever ones I’d reckon, I’ll bet she didn’t end up in a factory sewing shirts, she’s management material that lass.

Spitty you reminded me of the chap who narrated this record many years ago, older members may remember it, he was once an American newsreader by the name of Wink Martindale, a one hit wonder in the record recording game, I wondered if he’s a distant relation of Billy Eyelash? they could have opened up an opticians “Wink & Eyelash” the best blinking opticians in town.
That's the dirty dozen you see, how many of the actors can you name? I only got Lee Marvin, Telly Savalas, and Charles Bronson.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 04:59 PM

LOL Jem..I only found out what fibbers lads are once I lived in the Far East that oriental ladies made the same sound as we whities from blighty did when sliding down a bannister..naked

Don't you just love stories like the Ghost ship that has turned up In Ireland. Although not quite so romantic as the Mary Celeste you do wonder with all our so called security systems in place how it managed to float on without being noticed for so long.

Wonder how long it will take for the owners to turn up once the wreckers get to work..not that I am accusing the law abiding Corkonians of such mercenary practice

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 10:21 PM

I forgot to add regarding that peculiarity of oriental Ladies personal anatomy, that every time an oriental woman appeared in a bathing suit on the cinema screen all the young lads heads would go sideways simultaneously like a one way ‘Mexican wave’

My favourite shipwreck was the one in the film ‘Whisky Galore’, no ghosts but plenty of spirits to warm the cockles of your heart.
Cork folks are very enterprising, wouldn’t surprise me if some businessman bought it and refurbished it, then opened it up as a tourist hotel.

Seriously, this weather has me bored stiff, if it wasn’t for the odd trip up to the local I’d go stir crazy sitting in the house.
I managed to get a bit of paint onto the little cabin today, it’s a dark green colour called ‘Woodland green’ so it will make the cabin blend in with the high 7’ hedge that surrounds the whole front garden, and a good bit of the back, I’m thinking I’ll need to do three coats of paint to get it right.
Phyllis tells me she spotted two robins yesterday, they come to nest in the hedge every year, perhaps a sign of better weather on the way?
I do love the warm weather, you can get much more things done then.

Ah the soothing sound of Ella Fitzgerald.

solo
UK

Yesterday, 08:25 PM

My beloved garden shed is being held together by a huge clematis and Woodland green paint and has more holes in it than my kitchen colander but at the moment is being used as a prospective maternity ward by my fox.

She does this every year and I leave her be to just get on with it as the cubs will eventually play out on the lawn and thats a lovely sight to watch from the window.

The shed does need replacing but I really don't have the heart when there is so much life around it

Lovely comments below the clip..my favourite....My dad was so proud of the shed he put up that he called my mother to look out the window at it and make him a cup of tea. He leaned on it and it fell over!

biffo
United Kingdom
biffo is male 

Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Thank you! (I hadn't seen that)
Page 1585 of 1585 « First < 585 1085 1485 1535 1575 1583 1584 1585

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top