Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 11:49 PM

Re: Spicy Chicken

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Oh! you could write book of your favourite recipes
and sell it on Amazon.

Like Nigella Lawson you mean?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Like Nigella Lawson you mean?
Yes! That's the spirit.

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 02:54 PM

I made this for a `Fat Camp` (Slimming World) taster session last week. For those following this plan, it's only two `sins` for the whole dish.

Spicy Chicken

3 x red onions peeled and finely sliced
5 x cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
3 x chicken breasts cut into 1inch (2.54 cm) cubes
Frank’s original hot pepper sauce (available from Morrisons)
I used this because its just comprised of peppers and distilled vinegar – (Sin free). Any hot pepper sauce will do except for piri-piri which is thickened with flour.
Caramelised red onion chutney (the 4 x sins)
1 Cal spray, preferably chilli flavoured but sunflower oil type should do. (Not olive oil kind as it can burn).

Method

Spray the bottom of a large frying pan with the 1 Cal so that it covers the bottom. Place pan over a medium heat, and add sliced onions. Cook the onions, stirring from time to time so that they don’t burn. When softened, add in the chopped garlic and mix together.
Continue to fry the onions and garlic for around five minutes then add the cubed chicken. Stir the chicken around until it just begins to colour then pour at least 2 tablespoons of pepper sauce over the chicken. Stir the chicken into the onions and garlic and stir-fry for around five minutes. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and stir in. Fill the empty can with water and pour into the pan. Stir everything together, turn the heat down to a simmer and leave until the liquid has reduced to half of its original volume.
Check the `hotness` of the dish and add more sauce if not hot enough. I added around 3 tbs. Stir again and leave until further reduced and fairly thick.
Turn off heat and leave to stand for around 2 hours.
When ready, turn on the heat to a simmer and warm through. Try some of the chicken. The taste maybe a bit harsh, so now we add the onion chutney to temper it. 2 tbs should do. Stir the chutney into the chicken/tomato and allow to dissolve. Add more chutney if desired.

Serve with steamed boiled rice or boiled new potatoes.
Wow, definitely going to try this one Judd, sounds absolutely delicious! Perfect with rice.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:01 PM

Tried this for lunch today - served with a baked potato. It was scrumptious - thank you, Judd!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 11:42 PM

Glad you liked it Tabbs.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 11:47 PM

Would it work with quorn or meaty fish do you think?
It does sound delish
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 11:49 PM

I made this for a `Fat Camp` (Slimming World) taster session last week. For those following this plan, it's only two `sins` for the whole dish.

Spicy Chicken

3 x red onions peeled and finely sliced
5 x cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
3 x chicken breasts cut into 1inch (2.54 cm) cubes
Frank’s original hot pepper sauce (available from Morrisons)
I used this because its just comprised of peppers and distilled vinegar – (Sin free). Any hot pepper sauce will do except for piri-piri which is thickened with flour.
Caramelised red onion chutney (the 4 x sins)
1 Cal spray, preferably chilli flavoured but sunflower oil type should do. (Not olive oil kind as it can burn).

Method

Spray the bottom of a large frying pan with the 1 Cal so that it covers the bottom. Place pan over a medium heat, and add sliced onions. Cook the onions, stirring from time to time so that they don’t burn. When softened, add in the chopped garlic and mix together.
Continue to fry the onions and garlic for around five minutes then add the cubed chicken. Stir the chicken around until it just begins to colour then pour at least 2 tablespoons of pepper sauce over the chicken. Stir the chicken into the onions and garlic and stir-fry for around five minutes. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and stir in. Fill the empty can with water and pour into the pan. Stir everything together, turn the heat down to a simmer and leave until the liquid has reduced to half of its original volume.
Check the `hotness` of the dish and add more sauce if not hot enough. I added around 3 tbs. Stir again and leave until further reduced and fairly thick.
Turn off heat and leave to stand for around 2 hours.
When ready, turn on the heat to a simmer and warm through. Try some of the chicken. The taste maybe a bit harsh, so now we add the onion chutney to temper it. 2 tbs should do. Stir the chutney into the chicken/tomato and allow to dissolve. Add more chutney if desired.

Serve with steamed boiled rice or boiled new potatoes.
Sounds so yummy I want some now !
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

24-02-2020, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Would it work with quorn or meaty fish do you think?
It does sound delish
I don't think it would work with Quorn although I have made Quorn curries before. You could try making the sauce then chuck in the Quorn in at the last minute. As for the fish, I don't think it would work as the fish would have its own flavour unless you use a white fish of some sort. If you want to try it, make the sauce as before but rather than cook the fish from scratch as you would do with chicken, add the fish at the last minute and let it poach for a while.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top